Windshield Washer Fluid leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mechjk43

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
dI have a 2021 Z71 Tahoe with 37,500 miles. No issues until the rear window washer did not spray fluid. I determined the washer fluid reservoir was empty. I refilled it. Later went on a drive and used the rear and front washers with wipers. Worked normal. As I got home I got the alarm that the washer reservoir was empty. Verified it was empty; I knew something was wrong. I then filled it with water and both sprayers worked fine, but washed fluid level continued to drop after the sprayers shut off. No visible leaks anywhere under the car. After reading this blog, I then started searching inside the cab. Emptied and removed my cargo container and found 1/2"-3/4" of wiper fluid and water in the entire back section. Also carpet under the third row seat was wet. I dried everything out, parked it in my driveway on a slight incline toward the back, and then filled the reservoir about half full with water and started the rear sprayer again. Worked fine. After I stopped spraying, the reservoir continued to drain and the back area under the cargo container began to fill with water from the drivers side trim panels. Water also began to drip from some weep holes under the chassis when the level got high enough. I could not find any visible leak points inside the vehicle. Obvious that the low level separation resulted in a siphon effect and emptied the reservoir each time the rear pump was started; probably some of the accumulation drained out of the weep holes when I was driving earlier. Made an appointment with dealer service. They repaired it with the following written comments: "Hose separated in 2 places, 1 above headliner and 1 at lower connections near bottom right of vehicle behind trim panels. R&R trim panels, lowered headliner, repaired both hose connections and also added tie straps to keep hoses from separating. Reinstalled all trim panels, headliner and trim pieces." Cost before coupons was $318, since I was past warrantee by 1,500 miles. They acted like they had not seen this before but already had a fix. HORRIBLE DESIGN BY GM!!! should have been a continuous tubing run without unreliable fittings, at least inside the headliner and trim panels. Fortunate to have caught it before headliner and other components were damaged. Ran air conditioner to help dehumidify dry the system parts I cannot see. Be aware.

If anyone wants to save $318 or a trip to the dealer. Try what @Samuel Ross said. Mine was also disconnected there. When I reconnected it, I experienced the same thing that @KGC1978 did. I pulled off the small panel at the top & rear, next to the rear hatch. Then, pulled back the top liner and found another tube connection completely separated. Everything seems to work and the reservoir holds fluid now.

Attachments

• IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6514.jpg
    IMG_6514.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6515.jpg
    IMG_6515.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 59

Al2021tahoepremi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon Denali, just over the weekend I had the low washer fluid warning on the dash. Filled it up, the next day upon starting the warning was on the dash and again the reservoir was empty. I removed the front wheel well liner and looked around the reservoir. All the piping looked ok and when I filled it again, I couldn't find the leak. It must be a slow leak... Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to locate the issue. Taking it to the dealer this week, but it is a hassle. Would appreciate any insights.
Did you ever get this resolved?
What was the fix?
And did they replace your carpets after them getting soaked ?

Steved460

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
This is happening to my 2021 model. I have traced the lines and tested for fluid flow to the connection above the battery. It is good. My rear is not spraying at all. I checked the connections under the right-side rear and under the rear headliner and they are connected. I am going to separate the hose above the headliner and see if fluid is reaching this point. If not, it has to be the nozzle or where the hose is attached to the nozzle or I am missing where a hose connection is. Feel free to chime in if you guys know something I don't!! Now I just have to figure out how to access the nozzle area.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi
This is happening to my 2021 model. I have traced the lines and tested for fluid flow to the connection above the battery. It is good. My rear is not spraying at all. I checked the connections under the right-side rear and under the rear headliner and they are connected. I am going to separate the hose above the headliner and see if fluid is reaching this point. If not, it has to be the nozzle or where the hose is attached to the nozzle or I am missing where a hose connection is. Feel free to chime in if you guys know something I don't!! Now I just have to figure out how to access the nozzle area.
Are you able to hear the pump run when you tell it to spray the rear glass? There's been more than one forum member mention their washer pump died on their 21+ SUV. Maybe a bad batch of pumps? The pump is located in the driver's side fender well. Both front and rear washer nozzle lines are connected to the same pump. It spins one direction for front nozzles and then spins the opposite direction for the rear nozzle.

Steved460

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The pump is running and washing the front windshield. It also pumps over to the splice/junction above the battery. Working my way back with the pump at this point. I didn't know if someone found another hose connection I missed at the rear of the truck.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a connection inside the cabin just as the hose comes inside. You'll need to remove the rear floor storage console, D-Pillar trim and rear sidewall trim to see it. It's this connection point circled in the picture. If that is leaking, then the area under the floor storage is probably filling up with washer fluid and hence you can't find the leak.

1674610560231.png

Deacon37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 21 Yukon Denali, just over the weekend I had the low washer fluid warning on the dash. Filled it up, the next day upon starting the warning was on the dash and again the reservoir was empty. I removed the front wheel well liner and looked around the reservoir. All the piping looked ok and when I filled it again, I couldn't find the leak. It must be a slow leak... Has anyone experienced this? I haven't been able to locate the issue. Taking it to the dealer this week, but it is a hassle. Would appreciate any insights.
Make sure fluid tank full. Run the wipers on "wash", front, then rear. Fluid may leak under flow pressure and indicate area of leak.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey
I wanted to thank you again. This is the spot it was disconnected, and I think it would have taken me a lot longer to find it without you help.
Glad it helped you find the problem! Was the back of your rig filled up with washer fluid? :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues