Windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali Brad

Reaction score
Caught a stone along the DS edge on Saturday, and now have a crack that is growing across the windshield.

Any suggestions or cautions I should know?

Thanks

Brad

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Caught a stone along the DS edge on Saturday, and now have a crack that is growing across the windshield.

Any suggestions or cautions I should know?

Thanks

Brad
I had to replace mine this year and went through Safelite. I was very impressed by the whole experience. I didn't have to drive anywhere or call anyone, Just filled everything out on their website and scheduled an appointment and then a few days later they came to my house and replaced it.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you order with all the necessary features... i had one installed and the rain sensor was messed up and the wipers went crazy for a few days till the 2nd replacement showed up.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worse fear... Windshield replacement. My concern centers around the HUD. I was told there is a special type of glass used from the factory and aftermarket replacement windshields distort the HUD projection. i.e. The image is out of focus, blurry, and just generally poor in image quality compare to the OEM windshield. I don't know if any of this is true or not but its something to do your homework on since your Denali is likely HUD equipped.

I had a nasty rock chip on my Tahoe that I ended up getting "resin filled" repaired instead of replacing the entire glass due to concerns with HUD. I ended up trading the Tahoe but the repair was barely noticeable and never spread.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's an option, but I believe there are windshields that have extra sound deadening in it, I believe it's laminated glass. I know only the escalade platinum from 2011 and up also had the front doors with laminated glass instead of tempered glass like all others have.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worse fear... Windshield replacement. My concern centers around the HUD. I was told there is a special type of glass used from the factory and aftermarket replacement windshields distort the HUD projection. i.e. The image is out of focus, blurry, and just generally poor in image quality compare to the OEM windshield. I don't know if any of this is true or not but its something to do your homework on since your Denali is likely HUD equipped.

I had a nasty rock chip on my Tahoe that I ended up getting "resin filled" repaired instead of replacing the entire glass due to concerns with HUD. I ended up trading the Tahoe but the repair was barely noticeable and never spread.
Yeah I had this happen on my Camaro with HUD. You need pilkington glass. If you do it through safelite they’ll use OEM but still just double check.

I want the windshield on my Tahoe replaced because I caught a rock chip recently. I want the windshield tinted but I’m waiting until the chip gets worse and truly needs replacement.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Windshield glass is laminated.

Windshield glass is contoured for several reasons, one of which is to make it resist forces from the outside of the vehicle. If a crack were to get whacked -- whack a crack, so to speak -- from the inside, well, that might just make it a lot worse real quick. Don't ask me how I know.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a massive favor and buy only the OEM glass if your truck has an HUD, frontview camera, or rainsense. The OEM glass is far better quality and has locating pins that help with the install that the aftermarket glasses do not have. If the windshield isn’t installed perfectly you will have problems with the frontview camera. If you have to buy aftermarket, go with a Pilkington. They’re the best of the aftermarket glass but not as good as OEM.

I’m surprised no one has claimed yet that “all glass is the same” or “it’s all made in the same factory.” The Escalade Platinum is “the same” and “made in the same factory” as a Tahoe LS but they aren’t exactly up to the same standards.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because all glass isn’t the same nor made in the same factory, just like any part. Nobody on this forum preaches that- you must have us confused with the F*rd forums.:lol2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter

Latest posts