Window Trim Rubber Strip Thing? Peeling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. Does anyone know the part number for this trim part? Specifically the rubber.

Or is it together with the larger window trim piece itself? I’m hoping not because I really don’t want to have to remove that all around.

All four of these rubber strips are peeling up at both corners of each. I don’t like that rain and soon snow can get it. One corner had been coming up a bit then the other seven just started out of nowhere.

Thanks

32741B10-11C9-49CC-85F8-85906610774E.jpeg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the part number but I do know for a fact it’s a part of the chrome window trim piece. There is no separate part number for just the rubber piece that’s flipped up in your pic.

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the trim and tried to figure out how to fix this annoying problem. Ultimately I landed on gentle heatgunning of the rubber strip to soften it and make it pliable to lay on the chrome again. Then I used light amounts of gorilla glue on the back side and gave it time to stick in place. Added more glue in small amounts in the back to strengthen as much as I could. Did all 4 points on the rear doors. Probably do the fronts next weekend but they aren’t as bad. Looks FAR better now. I don’t know how it will last long term but we shall see..

57888719-9D48-4080-89E1-1ED7C12065DC.jpeg

Joeltz

Reaction score
I’ll use your technique all 4 doors on my 2015 Ltz have this problem , Thanks

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of notes I didn't add in there - be super light on the heat gun - the one in the pic above almost got me; it was the first one I did - I was gentle with it and still almost overdid it. And 'train' it back down while you're heating it. Then also be very gentle with the gorilla glue too so it doesn't spread into any visible areas. Also, I found the best way to hold it in place to dry was (also gentle) painter's tape around them, since it can't really be clamped in place. Not tight at all, just enough to hold it. Good fortune with the repair

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what is causing this on vehicles that posted with same problem. Car automatic washers?

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For mine, I feel like it's just the sun and weather working on it. The rubber separated from the back of the metal since in those areas GM designed them with no actual mechanical fastener to hold the rubber in place, but rather some form of adhesive only. As the constant weather changes take effect on the adhesive, the sun dries out the rubber and 'curls' it up.

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part number of these, I kinda just want to replace all the chrome trim around the windows as a lot of the gasket is starting to come off and the chrome is faded anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN