Will z95 shocks work with z55 system, any definitive answer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has a definitive answer as to whether the z95 mrc (magnetic ride control) shock will work on a z55 (bi-state shock) system, the connector and appearance are identical, the internals are were the differences are with the oil being controlled magnetically (mrc i.e. z95) versus electronic valves (bi-state, i.e. z55)
has anyone tried it? normally everyone wants to downgrade to non-mrc due to cost, but there are deals out there making it not that expensive.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Nivomat shocks for sale.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Good luck with that
thanks I am trying to find out if the z95 magnetic shocks will work on the z55 system by default (like just a better ride) or if the ride control module would have to be changed/re-programmed also

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. But, I'd bet that you'll need whatever controls the suspension- either that controller module and/or programming in the PCM and/or BCM. I'm sure the plug is similar because so many of GM's harnesses are somewhat universal across their trim levels and models and using the same connector across the board is just cost-effective.

Or, maybe the controller is already sending varying signals to the bi-state shocks but they can only respond with two stages.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. But, I'd bet that you'll need whatever controls the suspension- either that controller module and/or programming in the PCM and/or BCM. I'm sure the plug is similar because so many of GM's harnesses are somewhat universal across their trim levels and models and using the same connector across the board is just cost-effective.

Or, maybe the controller is already sending varying signals to the bi-state shocks but they can only respond with two stages.
Ya that's what I'm hoping for that they would just respond faster

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the springs are different with the MRC setup. I do have my doubts that the MRC voltages and such are the same as the bi-state valving. I would think to energize the MRC fluid vs working a valve would be completely different. My guess would be if you put MRC shocks on your Z55, the shock will just work as a normal shock but the fluid would not be energized and would feel like soup. I can not verify this, but I can't imagine GM would make it easy for Z55 upgrades to Z95 without some sort of hassle.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the springs are different with the MRC setup. I do have my doubts that the MRC voltages and such are the same as the bi-state valving. I would think to energize the MRC fluid vs working a valve would be completely different. My guess would be if you put MRC shocks on your Z55, the shock will just work as a normal shock but the fluid would not be energized and would feel like soup. I can not verify this, but I can't imagine GM would make it easy for Z55 upgrades to Z95 without some sort of hassle.
I might call arnott tomorrow and see what they say, I had the same thoughts, a lot of what if's, poked around on the internet but nothing out there regarding this, not even a "hey don't do this" or "I tried it and fried this" just nothing other then they are inherently different internally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2