Will z95 shocks work with z55 system, any definitive answer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bugspray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I might call arnott tomorrow and see what they say, I had the same thoughts, a lot of what if's, poked around on the internet but nothing out there regarding this, not even a "hey don't do this" or "I tried it and fried this" just nothing other then they are inherently different internally.

What did you find out? I'm on the same boat. I have z55 shocks but know a guy selling 2 new OEM shocks for a z95 setup for cheap!
I have been without a compressor for over 60k miles after it burnt out trying to fill up the bad shocks so my shocks have been shot for a while. I'm thinking maybe new z95s would be better than what I have now even if not hooked up

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you find out? I'm on the same boat. I have z55 shocks but know a guy selling 2 new OEM shocks for a z95 setup for cheap!
I have been without a compressor for over 60k miles after it burnt out trying to fill up the bad shocks so my shocks have been shot for a while. I'm thinking maybe new z95s would be better than what I have now even if not hooked up
never did find anything out, I would imagine either it will work or it will give an error, it's looking like the only way to find out is to try it, if the shocks are cheap enough I would maybe try it but check to be sure the electronic connector is at least the same before dropping any money otherwise no point of even trying. if you do go for it report back please :)

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What module controls the Z55 and Z95 suspensions? I'm not talking about the levelling part of the system, but the actual commands sent to adjust the shock valves (Z55) or the shock fluid (Z95). I would think whatever module controls that could be swapped or programmed. But I'm sure GM wouldn't have made it that simple.

Bugspray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What module controls the Z55 and Z95 suspensions? I'm not talking about the levelling part of the system, but the actual commands sent to adjust the shock valves (Z55) or the shock fluid (Z95). I would think whatever module controls that could be swapped or programmed. But I'm sure GM wouldn't have made it that simple.

I'm confused.. so my compressor burnt up once the shocks started leaking. I noticed my ride quality didn't change much if any at all. I'ts been that way for the last 55k+ miles and I'm now at 197k miles and finally for the last 10k miles I noticed the front end seems really stiff I can really feel it in the steering wheel. So I guess I'm confused on how the rear shocks work. The air is basically only to keep the ride level correct not so much for it to ride smooth? So if I was to throw some brand new OEM z55 shocks in the rear I would definitely get a smoother ride with the absorber alone and not have to worry about the compressor? And is that the electronic part about them?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused.. so my compressor burnt up once the shocks started leaking. I noticed my ride quality didn't change much if any at all. I'ts been that way for the last 55k+ miles and I'm now at 197k miles and finally for the last 10k miles I noticed the front end seems really stiff I can really feel it in the steering wheel. So I guess I'm confused on how the rear shocks work. The air is basically only to keep the ride level correct not so much for it to ride smooth? So if I was to throw some brand new OEM z55 shocks in the rear I would definitely get a smoother ride with the absorber alone and not have to worry about the compressor? And is that the electronic part about them?
well the rear shock/springs does do most of the work but the air portion helps a lot, you will want to replace the pump as well at least at some point so your not ruining brand new shocks.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, not sure how simple the swap would be, all i know is the tech2 will ask if the vehicle is equipped with z95 when running diagnostics

Bugspray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah. I plan on selling it and upgrading to a 2016. I might go OEM shocks in the rear with a cheap compressor and do the suncore 151G-31-F in the front. I wonder how stiff the OEM z95 magnetic shocks come out the box lol. The guy is selling both rears for $300.

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I plan on selling it and upgrading to a 2016. I might go OEM shocks in the rear with a cheap compressor and do the suncore 151G-31-F in the front. I wonder how stiff the OEM z95 magnetic shocks come out the box lol. The guy is selling both rears for $300.
that's not cheap. lol you can get brand new arnott's off rockauto for roughly the same price with lifetime warranty, they are $145 each plus a refundable $50 core as2708

Bugspray

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that's not cheap. lol you can get brand new arnott's off rockauto for roughly the same price with lifetime warranty, they are $145 each plus a refundable $50 core as2708

Well I meant cheap as in each one cost him $400 at the dealership lol. I hear the Arnotts ride way too stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe