Will Autotrack II hurt my transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt read manual like a fool. Put Autotrack II in since I have the Auto 4WD 2 speed case. Manual calls for Dexron VI tranny fluid for t case. Foresee any problems here? Its almost as easy as changing oil, so I can get the dex VI here tomorrow if I really need to...

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed it out. I think they are the same with at2 being blue to determine if leak from tranny to transfer case occurs turning it purple.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the auto option on your transfer case knob, then you need the autotrak 2 fluid. If it does not have the auto, then use dex vi.

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but 2013 manual says dexron VI for all versions. Drained fluid had red tint. AT II was for gmt800 w auto mode...

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but 2013 manual says dexron VI for all versions. Drained fluid had red tint. AT II was for gmt800 w auto mode...

Actually you are not entirely correct. At least for 2007 the Autotrak 2 fluid was the recommended fluid for transfer cases with the auto mode. The requirement must have been changed at some point after that.

OP
OP
K2 Kaiju

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is where I got confused, because you are correct about 07 manual calling for at2. Looks like the change happened in 08. Mp3023 case was used on 4 speed while mp3024 was on 6l80, and I thought the transition to the 6 didnt occur until 09 for the auto 4wd setup (awd denali/caddie had it from launch but different case). Im willing to bet these fluids are interchangeable in a pinch...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

dross99_si

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you drained the fluid was it the blue color?
I have a 2007 Tahoe 4WD and it uses the Auto Trak II fluid.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
All 4x4 (non-AWD) 07 GMT900s, both trucks and SUVs, call for Autotrak II. I believe TexasDaddy is correct when he said the change to DexVI happened in 08. All 08+ non-AWD GMT900 transfer cases should be filled with 2 quarts of DexVI from the factory. Just checked my 09's manual, it does indeed require Dexron VI in the t-case.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 4x4 (non-AWD) 07 GMT900s, both trucks and SUVs, call for Autotrak II. I believe TexasDaddy is correct when he said the change to DexVI happened in 08. All 08+ non-AWD GMT900 transfer cases should be filled with 2 quarts of DexVI from the factory. Just checked my 09's manual, it does indeed require Dexron VI in the t-case.

I just got confused from this post. I know 4X4 and AWD are not the same but there is a difference on these cars?

If our car has the second knob to the right of headlight knob, that should mean the car has AWD correct? And if it has "auto" as an option, it should take Autotrak II? What is difference between GMT800 and GMT900?