How do I know what transfer case I have? This is the only label I could find. 98 Yukon 4x4.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read once that the NP8 actually had multiple suppliers (could’ve just been the new process / new venture thing) but a few of us have gone through this from time to time. I think you’ve already figured it out, but putting a swab into the fill hole would have probably been good advice since that would’ve gotten us to “is the fluid blue or red?”

My 99 burb is now being piloted by my son, and about a month ago I got the call that something was rubbing/ kinda sounds like its coming from one of the front wheels. That was tricky to diagnose for him over the phone (haha) but I probably would’ve been just as stumped in person since it was the dreaded transfer case rub. Fortunately it has been shared on the forums and I put two and two together.

I drop-shipped him a rebuilt t-case (about 700 bucks) and that took care of that. But since I owe the forum universe now, I thought a psa was in order: (0) Mine is blue (1) I think the tcase rub is pretty much inevitable on the GMT 400 NP8. (2) wait and watch for it, because its a high milage thing that makes a noise all its own, and (3) its a pretty easy rebuild, but you could also get in front of it with a sonnax plate saver that protects the case (but to do that you’ve dropped the case and mostly disassembled it anyway)

Happy trails!
Hmmm. I do notice weird vibration when I left off the gas sometimes but I only feel it in the pedal. I don't hear a "rub" noise. But ever since I heard about the t-case rub, I've been worried about it haha. Hope its not that. Going to do the fluid today.

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so some more info... I am about to change oil, front diff fluid and hopefully t-case. I found my tag with model #, definitely a 246. There is a little fluid leaking from he shaft and its red. The yellow sticker on it says use only ATF. I have Autotrak and Dexron IV. Im planning to use the Autotrak. Please see photos, let me know if I'm screwing up...

IMG_8224.jpegIMG_8225.jpegIMG_8226.jpegIMG_8227.jpegIMG_8228.jpeg

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably need to check on this. My brand new to me 98 has the auto 4WD switches and I'll be taking it in for a full inspection as soon as I get plates.

Where is this RPO tag?

OP
OP
olliec420

olliec420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably need to check on this. My brand new to me 98 has the auto 4WD switches and I'll be taking it in for a full inspection as soon as I get plates.

Where is this RPO tag?
Tag is to the left of the output shaft, behind the crossmember blocking the view.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Where is this RPO tag?

The RPO label should be stuck to the inside of the glovebox lid. The tag on the transfer case won't list the RPO code.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok so some more info... I am about to change oil, front diff fluid and hopefully t-case. I found my tag with model #, definitely a 246. There is a little fluid leaking from he shaft and its red. The yellow sticker on it says use only ATF. I have Autotrak and Dexron IV. Im planning to use the Autotrak. Please see photos, let me know if I'm screwing up...

View attachment 395113View attachment 395114View attachment 395115View attachment 395116View attachment 395117

I'd use the Auto Trak II fluid in the NP/NVG 246 transfer case. Be sure to un-do the fill plug before draining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic