Why won't air conditioning turn on ? ? ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disregard - It does NOT work... Hot air.......
Anyone have knowledge on AC systems and can tell me where to look online for troubleshooting?

I will probably take it in, but I'd still like to understand the system.....
I was told expansion valves are expensive.....

it has freon.
compressor comes on.
even the aluminum line gets real cold.
but hot in the vehicle.....

Thanks!!!

John, you need the right tools to diagnose and fix this properly. Adding cans can overfill the system and ruin it. The system has pressure switches and if bad, will not turn the compressor on. If the head unit is bad, there will be internal trouble codes stored for a technician to see. Who do you know with a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool?

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, you need the right tools to diagnose and fix this properly. Adding cans can overfill the system and ruin it. The system has pressure switches and if bad, will not turn the compressor on. If the head unit is bad, there will be internal trouble codes stored for a technician to see. Who do you know with a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool?
he will just blow out the pressure release tab if it was over full(newer A/C have them so the compresses does not "explode" ) he claimed the line was cold so the actuator is probably bad..

i wonder if he tried the manual reset by pressing the ICE and recirculate button.

DenaliReyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he will just blow out the pressure release tab if it was over full(newer A/C have them so the compresses does not "explode" ) he claimed the line was cold so the actuator is probably bad..

i wonder if he tried the manual reset by pressing the ICE and recirculate button.

Manual Reset?
I have the same problem. My ac pump turns on but stops, then turns on and stops. Alsmot as if it knows not to stay on. The line is coldAF going into the firewall, but hot after the orifice tube? Is that what it's called? I am goi g to check the actuator. Manually turn the blend door and see if that's the case. Save me some cash for now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual Reset?
I have the same problem. My ac pump turns on but stops, then turns on and stops. Alsmot as if it knows not to stay on. The line is coldAF going into the firewall, but hot after the orifice tube? Is that what it's called? I am goi g to check the actuator. Manually turn the blend door and see if that's the case. Save me some cash for now.

Seems to me the pressure is not right and that is telling the computer to turn off the compressor (pump).

eholl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi... sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I'm having an issue with my AC on an '09 Yukon XL SLT... I push the ice button and it blinks 3 times and the AC does not come on.

The air blows, but not cold. I tried a couple of things already.

1. Replaced the sensor on the compressor (but it didn't come with an o-ring so I left the old one on.)
2. Tried the manual reset by pressing the ICE and recirculate button (but I didn't know how long to hold them in so I held them for 10 seconds.)
3. Undid the power supply from the battery. Waited 10 minutes, discharged the line by touching to ground. Restarted car, ran for 5 minutes and turned on air. No luck.

Question -

Will the AC light blink 3 times if it is simply low on freon? If so, I'll try adding some.

I've already resigned myself to taking it into the shop, but wondered if there were any other 'common' things to try on my own before hand.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Basics first. Need to know the pressures in the system and if compressor is cycling.

eholl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
An Update: I had a little freon in a can and added it to the system. The compressor then started, and the AC (ice) button no longer blinked and was a solid light again.

So, bottom line, if your freon gets low it can cause the 'ice' button to blink 3 times.

Maybe that information was readily available in the owner's manual.... I don't know. I usually do my looking on the internet.

I never could find anything that said if your freon level is too low it will cause the 'ice' button to blink 3 times and the AC won't turn on.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future with a similar problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is wht I was saying we need to know the pressures.

The owner's manual is vehicle specific. I would learn to start there for flashing lights or check engine lights meanings.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An Update: I had a little freon in a can and added it to the system. The compressor then started, and the AC (ice) button no longer blinked and was a solid light again.

So, bottom line, if your freon gets low it can cause the 'ice' button to blink 3 times.

Maybe that information was readily available in the owner's manual.... I don't know. I usually do my looking on the internet.

I never could find anything that said if your freon level is too low it will cause the 'ice' button to blink 3 times and the AC won't turn on.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future with a similar problem.
Anytime the AC system won’t start it blinks 3 times and turns off. If you have the controls set to defrost, if the outside air is too cold, if it’s low on Freon, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy