whistle in sound sytem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unklmony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have annoying whining/ whistle coming from Bose factory system in 2001 Denali. Goes away and returns with road conditions..Any ideas on what it is ?

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and raises with the RPMs right? but sometimes its not as loud as other times...sometimes you can drive and hardly notice it..but sometimes its really annoying?

If thats true...Im having the same problem. I have an aftermarket headunit...but I've grounded the head unit recently...iono what the deal is if yours is stock...but I get irritated as hell with it

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
redo the ground 1st...thats most likely the problem

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine does the same thing..and ya i have an aftermarket screen...i tried redoing the ground, but its still there..i also rewired the speakers when i got new ones last month, and its still there

mikeyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the same problem i hear u need a altanater capacter if u un plug your altanater for a min while your truck is running then it will stop ...at least mine does

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities: Your alternator is going bad (bad rectifier), your battery is going bad (inability to filter ripple), you could have a bad ground, or you may have a signal wire too close to a power source (Induction). Check the alternator and battery first (free at many places), then check the next easiest step for you.....and remember, the head unit isn't the only ground to check. These systems have amplifiers too!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Dismay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this now and then as well, maybe wondering about that engine to body braided ground strap...

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never hurts to add ground straps!

I'd do Engine to Body, Body to Batt., Engine to Batt.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
its engine noise/alternator whine..

at one point I had none

I'll find the write up on how to track the noise and get rid of it

its all based around your ground and it interfering with your signal

if you have ground noise with your stock bose system there is another problem because that really shouldn't happen

I do know that the way tahoes are designed they are famous for ground noise

think of if this way.. when your buddy's get in and ride around with you tell them you have a turbo ;) :D

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm MECP certified, so I can tell you for certain that you are partially right. Ground noise accounts for 1/4 of the possibilities, but you also have to consider the possibility of induction. If there are signal wires near any source of high power, they will pick it up and it will be processed as signal. If the battery is going bad it won't be able to filter the ripple and that will also cause it. Lastly, if the alternator's rectifier is going bad it will cause issues as well. so check all 4! Gound is deffinitely a good place to start, but a battery & Alternator check is easier.......and free, so why not start there?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove