Whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eqppwqqep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I thought manually shifting through the gears would keep it out of AFM....I am a firm believer that AFM is the worst thing ever on these trucks. Either that or your converter is starting to go. If you are locked up in TCC and you try to gently accelerate, does it almost slip or do the RPMs stay consistent?

eqppwqqep

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From a stop you can count the shifts and drops in RPM. 1-2-3-4-then it goes to the torque converter, which locks the transmissions directly to the engine RPM. If it whines only when in the last shift, it could be related to the differential. Tow mode still uses the converter, but at different RPM.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Something I forgot to ask you a while back. When you hear the noise and driving straight does the noise pitch change at all with turning the steering wheel from 12 to 1-2 or to 10-11 and thus loading the front bearings. If noise changes/gets worse when shift a little right then the LF bearing is the source and vice versa. But if the noise is different when in tow/haul mode then you may have trans problems. Hope not.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
All the bearings in mine were spun and the gears were shot. It made terrible noise from 10-20mph and up. Replaced the whole rear end with a rebuilt used one, noise gone.

OP
OP
KingJmart

KingJmart

Reaction score
All the bearings in mine were spun and the gears were shot. It made terrible noise from 10-20mph and up. Replaced the whole rear end with a rebuilt used one, noise gone.

And how did u change all of that? And how much did it run u? I'm changing out the front two bearings/hub assembly today

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Also, you said normal metal in rear diff oil when changed. What amount is normal?

And yes there was very minimal shavings. Local auto parts guy dumped the old oil for me and looked at and said it was alright

---------- Post added at 08:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 AM ----------

Something I forgot to ask you a while back. When you hear the noise and driving straight does the noise pitch change at all with turning the steering wheel from 12 to 1-2 or to 10-11 and thus loading the front bearings. If noise changes/gets worse when shift a little right then the LF bearing is the source and vice versa. But if the noise is different when in tow/haul mode then you may have trans problems. Hope not.

And I tried in tow mode again yest and it still makes same humming noise so not thinking its tranny. Or let's hope not lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea I always rely on the parts guy to tell me what is good and bad. Sorry but usually they are frustrated techs that could not cut it in the field and they know just enough to be dangerous but sometimes they are knowledgeable.

OP
OP
KingJmart

KingJmart

Reaction score
Also I'm having a super hard time getting the middle too bolt off that holds hub bearing assembly in place. There's a bolt about 2-3 in behind the one that need to come out but not finding a way to remove. Ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz