Which tuner to disable AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with DiabloSport but can't get mine to go beyond the boot screen, it does not go into the configure mode. Just hangs.

It's an older i2, maybe get the newer DiabloSport inTune i3? I did a mid-octane canned tune on the Tahoe I used to have, now want to do the same thing to the 2013 Yukon with the 6.2L and the unneeded AFM.

Otherwise use HP tuners but it's more expensive and a real tuner. Not sure I want to tune it extensively.

@Geotrash beat me to it.
+1 for lt1swap.com's service.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will driving in the M mode disable AFM?

It would for my 2014. Shift into Manual Mode, and select gear 5. It would turn off AFM, and lock the engine into V8 mode.

The transmission would still shift as if it never had AFM, eg: start in 1st gear from a stop, and shift normally. Just no annoying 4cyl drone.

NoNamesLeft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great info guys. I was ready to pull the connector to the solenoids as a temporary AFM disable. AFM has made it seem like there is something wrong with the way the engine is running on this new to me vehicle. Being able to lock it out by driving in manual mode will allow getting a better baseline on how the engine performs. With 180K miles it seems like its tempting fate to allow AFM to keep operating.

Do any of the bi-directional scan tools allow permanently disabling the AFM or must one get a tuner? (Not a fan of the device that draws power all the time and wouldn't send the ECM anywhere unless I had a known good spare on hand)

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do a tune, the AFM can be disabled. I saw you mentioned some device at nearly $450 - at that price, spend a little more and get it tuned. I used BlackBear Performance to get mine tuned which eliminated the AFM feature (more like a bug) from the truck. They do ECU/TCM tuning - biggest thing I noticed was the trans was no longer searching for the right gear when driving up and down hills or grade changes.

ECaseyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ordered a Range Technology and installed it yesterday, if you can call it an install. Anyway, it definitely feels more responsive than it did when I first got the truck. Another thing I noticed is when you're approaching a hill it doesn't loose speed like it did. This is only my second week of owning the tahoe. The only reason I went this route instead of just programming it is because I have a 2year/ 24,000mile powertrain warranty. As soon as the warranty is up it's getting a cam and programmed.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Range Technology and installed it yesterday, if you can call it an install. Anyway, it definitely feels more responsive than it did when I first got the truck. Another thing I noticed is when you're approaching a hill it doesn't loose speed like it did. This is only my second week of owning the tahoe. The only reason I went this route instead of just programming it is because I have a 2year/ 24,000mile powertrain warranty. As soon as the warranty is up it's getting a cam and programmed.

I would have just got the BB tune. The Range AFM doesn't do anything to improve the transmission programming, which is most of the issue with these vehicels. Yeah, the AFM is dumb, but you can turn it off by shifting into Manual Mode - Gear 5, which is fine for around town, and up to about 55mph.

It's your money, but now you have your OBDII port plugged up, when you could be using it to run the Torque app on your phone.

ECaseyP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would have just got the BB tune. The Range AFM doesn't do anything to improve the transmission programming, which is most of the issue with these vehicels. Yeah, the AFM is dumb, but you can turn it off by shifting into Manual Mode - Gear 5, which is fine for around town, and up to about 55mph.

It's your money, but now you have your OBDII port plugged up, when you could be using it to run the Torque app on your phone.
I would have had it tuned if it didn't come with a power train warranty. I'll get a cam installed and tuned when the warranty is up on it.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have had it tuned if it didn't come with a power train warranty. I'll get a cam installed and tuned when the warranty is up on it.
The cool thing about the BB tune is that the AutoCal v3 handheld tuner stores your stock/OEM tunes, so you can swap back in 5 minutes for warranty/dealer work. Then reinstall the BB tune after you get it back. Just some food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop