Which tuner to disable AFM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

me88

Reaction score
Another thing is when approaching a hill in V4, when it goes back to V8 mode it lacks power unless you mash the throttle.
Sounds completely normal to me when running with AFM enabled. Throttle response is remarkably "cushioned" on these vehicles, and AFM with a half second delay when switching doesn't help either. Best comparison is that the throttle response feels like a newer German car in Eco mode.

The Range adapter noticeably improves the driveability, and with the BTDieselworks OBD splitter cable you can install it completely hidden.

Hashiriya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can, but then AFM is active again. 5th gear locks it out due to mapping
You can, but then AFM is active again. 5th gear locks it out due to mapping
Hey btrain can you elaborate on your answer. Sorry new to GM stuff, but I just purchased the hp tuners and I am going to use it to disable the AFM. Thanks in advance

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey btrain can you elaborate on your answer. Sorry new to GM stuff, but I just purchased the hp tuners and I am going to use it to disable the AFM. Thanks in advance
If you don't have a tuner, using manual (M) on the shift column will allow you to use the up/down arrows on the column to select the highest gear you want to be in. Lock it in 5th and AFM won't activate. It works good for around town and highway speeds up to about 65 mph for decent fuel economy still with no V4 mode. You can still run at freeway speeds if you like, but mpg will probably drop.

A tuner is the most economical way to get rid of it and use all 6 gears

Hashiriya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you don't have a tuner, using manual (M) on the shift column will allow you to use the up/down arrows on the column to select the highest gear you want to be in. Lock it in 5th and AFM won't activate. It works good for around town and highway speeds up to about 65 mph for decent fuel economy still with no V4 mode. You can still run at freeway speeds if you like, but mpg will probably drop.

A tuner is the most economical way to get rid of it and use all 6 gears
Oh okay sweet so nothing to worry about lol my hp tuners arrived and it was deactivated asap. Drives great and no issues.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh okay sweet so nothing to worry about lol my hp tuners arrived and it was deactivated asap. Drives great and no issues.
Get into the HPT community and find a simple cleaned up tune for your transmission as well, it will make a tremendous difference in driveability. One of the biggest things my tuner did was remove the converter lock-up at lower speeds, which was almost always a brutal slap in my 6L80.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I have a solid grasp of this and if you want I can walk you through all of this offline in a teams meeting.

There's a little more to it than just turning off DOD in the ECU. I can also share my logging channels and histograms.

This is the "Wife approved" trans shift template that I put together for my yukon with a fresh 6L80 and fresh engine.
bluecat trans 6L80.jpg

C

Hashiriya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get into the HPT community and find a simple cleaned up tune for your transmission as well, it will make a tremendous difference in driveability. One of the biggest things my tuner did was remove the converter lock-up at lower speeds, which was almost always a brutal slap in my 6L80.
Oh damn really? I had no idea but thanks for the heads up. I come from manual trans vehicles lol so autos are new to me.

Hashiriya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a solid grasp of this and if you want I can walk you through all of this offline in a teams meeting.

There's a little more to it than just turning off DOD in the ECU. I can also share my logging channels and histograms.

This is the "Wife approved" trans shift template that I put together for my yukon with a fresh 6L80 and fresh engine.
View attachment 412956
I figured it was too easy to be true haha but yeah man I wouldn’t mind if you shared em, i do have some questions about the way the trans feels at times (nothing bad) just noises here and there that “concern” me.

Ibustbravo

Reaction score
I figured it was too easy to be true haha but yeah man I wouldn’t mind if you shared em, i do have some questions about the way the trans feels at times (nothing bad) just noises here and there that “concern” me.
I started with my Ford 6.0 diesel, which is a simpler operating system in comparison to this Gen V stuff. I'll send you a PM and see if our schedules sync up.

This is the best Gen V training, bar none--> evansperformanceacademy.vhx.tv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kracker456