Which Rotella is best for my 2007 Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tmoore8601

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got this Tahoe ab 3 months ago. The guy I got it from had done a lot of work to it. He was already running T4 in the engine. I don’t really know too much ab it. Would T5 or T6 be any better for it?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to continue running diesel engine oil. You can run anything you want. It is said that the high zinc content in diesel engine oils, while great for engines in general, eventually kills the catalytic converters that gasoline engines have. Some say that's not true, others say it's true but will take a really long time. I ran gasoline engine full synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum) until recently when I removed the cats. I switched to Rotella in the T6 flavor cuz I'll only run full synthetic. There is now a Rotella formulated for gasoline engines that appears to be an excellent oil. Since you asked specifically about Rotella, I'd say the one that's best for your '07 is the new one for gasoline engines. If some of that work that the previous owner did was removing the cats, then you can still run that gas engine Rotella or the continue with the diesel engine Rotella, again, in full synthetic.

Bottoms up!

IMG_2395.JPG

OP
OP
T

Tmoore8601

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to continue running diesel engine oil. You can run anything you want. It is said that the high zinc content in diesel engine oils, while great for engines in general, eventually kills the catalytic converters that gasoline engines have. Some say that's not true, others say it's true but will take a really long time. I ran gasoline engine full synthetic oil (Pennzoil Platinum) until recently when I removed the cats. I switched to Rotella in the T6 flavor cuz I'll only run full synthetic. There is now a Rotella formulated for gasoline engines that appears to be an excellent oil. Since you asked specifically about Rotella, I'd say the one that's best for your '07 is the new one for gasoline engines. If some of that work that the previous owner did was removing the cats, then you can still run that gas engine Rotella or the continue with the diesel engine Rotella, again, in full synthetic.

Bottoms up!

View attachment 251309
Thank you so much!

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went t6 on mine recently. I put that stuff in everything. Trucks, motorcycles, lawn mowers, I get a good laugh at the looks I get when I smell it and look at the driver and go..... Rotella. Nice.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this Tahoe ab 3 months ago. The guy I got it from had done a lot of work to it. He was already running T4 in the engine. I don’t really know too much ab it. Would T5 or T6 be any better for it?

The T4 is probably why he had to do a lot of work to the engine. We see on the pages of these forums lots of AFM problems caused by folks running the wrong oil in their motors. Stick with Dexos approved oils such as Rotella Gas Truck if your engine still has AFM whether active or not. If it's been deleted or you're running a 4.8, to each his own.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to this, I put in the t6 last week because that's what I know. However reading a bit more, I think I'm gonna go back to a dexos oil. I was considering just going back to super tech but the Rotella line is a well trusted brand and their gas truck oil is only about 2 dollars more than supertech, and is dexos gen2 approved..... So win win for 18 bucks instead of 16.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What'dja read that swayed your thoughts?
I'm most concerned about the cat convertor claims. Who really knows the truth...but I figure, at 18 bucks for 5 quarts, for a full synthetic from a premium brand that is dexos happy.....it makes good sense.

In addition, the T6 @ 21 dollars, is 4 quarts. The Rotella gas truck full synth is 5 quarts at 18 dollars, thereby making a cheaper change. And if I know anything about this group, its that ya'll a bunch of cheap mfs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal