Which one do i want?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hot pockets

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wife and I started our new SUV search a couple weeks ago. We started looking at Expedition and yukon. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the Yukon now. Should we look at the Tahoe/Burb? Our budget is under 55k$ under 50k mileage. Have found a couple Denali that we really like as well but are open to anything in the Tahoe/Yukon class.

Is there any real difference between the Tahoe and Yukon? Seems like you get more truck with the Tahoe when it comes to money. Is the Denali worth the extra for the 6.2?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get several different opinions and no big difference between the two. I would find both and go test drive them. You would need to find a Tahoe Premier to compare to the Denali. The 6.2 has more horsepower but you have to use premium fuel. It really comes down to what you and your wife like.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018-2020 Denali or Escalade. I paid 55k for a 2018 Escalade Lux with 48k at the height of the market. You could find one with less miles and maybe a 2019 or 2020 with less miles now these days for under 55k. Try to get one with less than 48k and add the GMPP extended warranty on it so your covered up to 100k from GM which is like buying a new truck. Warranty is important when you buy a used vehicle with over 50k. The Denali XL or ESV Escalade has pretty much the same interior room but 2 feet more trunk space. Unless you need the extra trunk space then the regular will be fine and if you need to travel you could always get the hitch receiver storage or the roof storage. I owned Escalades since 1999 when they first came out and I can tell you the front struts expire around 60-65k and you may have lifter failure which happens to many. The 4X4 is more problematic. I would look to buy one from S. Cali or Texas with no rust. The long one is more gas, hard to park & turn. The 2018-2020 has the 10 speed which the pre-2018 had the 8 speed which was the biggest POS. The pre-2018 had issues with vibrations bet 40-70k and had the aluminum not steel front and rear control arms that made the ride stiff. The 2021+ has the 10 speed which is a great transmission made by GM and Ford. Do not buy a 2015-2017 GMC, Tahoe or Escalade. Just look at how many people complained about issues on these forums. I have not seen many or if any complaints with the 10 speed. The Escalade has more options like the magride which you can choose sport, winter or comfort. The 360 degree camera, great LED full coverage headlights and the 50k mile warranty instead of the 36k which means you could still add the GMPP warranty with 48k instead of 34k. The gauge cluster on the Escalade is HD and can be reconfigured better than the GMC or Chevy. I had leased back in 2016 a Tahoe LT that had standard shock suspension and I hated the truck. I would only choose dampers or magride suspension. You might be able to find a Escalade platinum that has messaging front seats and more features in your price range.

Where do you live because if you live in the northern part of America than look down south. Do not buy a truck from a place that snows. If you buy down south you could drive it home and add an undercoating to protect it from salt and rust for a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited:

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We peasants are more interested in reliability and efficiency than thumbing our noses at the neighbors. At least those neighbors we don't want to punch in the nose. But I'd vote for a 2019 or 2020 with around 50K miles or less.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you end up buying - The 6.2 is worth reaching for. To me, the 5.3 always feels as if it's having to work really hard under normal driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011