Which Michelins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm close to done with the mediocre-at-best Goodyear LS2s on my '08 Tahoe LT3 with factory 20s (275/55-20 tires). I'm planning to go with new tires when I get my year-end bonus, and I've read nothing but great things about Michelins. Come to think of it, I loved a set when I had them on our old 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. But which ones to go with?

My driving style & needs:
-Drive under 10K miles per year, mostly within a 30-mile radius
-Do various roadtrips 3-5 times per year, mostly within 400 miles for roundtrip
-Do not go off-road beyond parking in grassy areas during daughter's soccer tournaments ;)
-Live in temperate climate and rarely see more than 4-6" of snow at any given time in winter

Which Michelins would you recommend?

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I like michelins but around here they dry rot and side wall crack like crazy

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with sumo. I bought a set at Samsclub for my Envoy XL and they look so bad that I am just waiting for a blowout. That said, I bought another set quite a few years ago for my Z-28 and they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So, I am torn. Is it the typical quality issue that tends to spring up over the years of the manufacturer finding ways to make more money on them or is it an issue where the manufacturer is making them at a price point that the warehouse club dictates and this is what you get?

I honestly don't know where I will be buying tires in the future.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Mark

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the complaint about dry-rotting and/or sidewall cracks on Michelins but do not know if those issues are confined to any particular model of Michelins. At the same time, many people rave about the ride/handling/longevity of the Michelin brand. I had great experience with the tires that I ran but that was roughly 6 years ago (on my Jeep, now long gone) and I don't recall the model, but they wore like iron.

I believe that products marketed & sold through warehouse club retailers MAY be of lower quality in order to meet price-point or margin objectives.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I've heard the complaint about dry-rotting and/or sidewall cracks on Michelins but do not know if those issues are confined to any particular model of Michelins. At the same time, many people rave about the ride/handling/longevity of the Michelin brand. I had great experience with the tires that I ran but that was roughly 6 years ago (on my Jeep, now long gone) and I don't recall the model, but they wore like iron.

I believe that products marketed & sold through warehouse club retailers MAY be of lower quality in order to meet price-point or margin objectives.

I'm sure not all of them do it but here is an example of a car i worked on today. Great tread but really bad side wall cracking. Measured 6/32

IMG_8008.JPG

IMG_8009.JPG

IMG_8010.JPG

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's really bad-----that sidewall looks like it's been on an old car from a barn find.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Yea and that not be worse one I can remember. One was really bad, you can see down to the cords on the sidewalls

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Few more Michelin. These are the pilots mxv4. Separating tread meets sidewall. Tires measured 6/32

IMG_8022.JPG

IMG_8023.JPG

IMG_8024.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON