Where’d you buy your Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find out where your state surplus lots are. Got mine directly off the surplus lot after it was stripped of the radios/lights by the agency that installed them. I think we might be pretty lucky here in NC, as all of the NC Highway Patrol vehicles are stripped of their equipment and put back together as much as possible (vehicles that had cages will have some obvious damage that cannot be reversed). Other than that, mine came with a full maintenance history and was overall in excellent condition, considering. At our surplus lots, we can't test drive.......but can start it up and shift the transmission, etc. Plus if you decide to buy, they accept cash/check/credit cards. And they'll write you a 3 day registration so you can drive it home without an issue.

ChrisSRT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GovDeals.com, drove to the High Point PD maintenance facility and picked it up and drove it home. Came with maintenance records, cam and lifters replaced less than 3000 miles ago. Still has K9 cage in it, but I was getting it to haul my K9, so that was a plus.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys, I have been primarily looking at govdeals.com for a police unit since I bought a crown Vic there a few years back.

Since I’m all new to this, where have people bought there unit, any sites or dealers I should examine closer, and any places I should avoid?
You're always going to pay a premium if you buy it from a dealer like Chicago Motors and such... You already know your answer, govdeals. I've bought at least 10 vehicles from them, as well as a host of other, non vehicle stuff. My current Tahoe came from the Sealy, TX PD.

You won't find a better deal.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're always going to pay a premium if you buy it from a dealer like Chicago Motors and such... You already know your answer, govdeals. I've bought at least 10 vehicles from them, as well as a host of other, non vehicle stuff. My current Tahoe came from the Sealy, TX PD.

You won't find a better deal.

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk
I’ve been watching gov deals for a while and I think I’m ok with what I spent at Chicago motors considering how beat and dirty they all look. The logistics of getting it to me from wherever it’s purchased vs just driving it home from Chicago is worth the money. I paid $12k for a mint 2010 ssv with 90k on it.

Dean LaCombe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought mine from a ford dealer in Jacksonville FL. On car gurus there are a decent amount available. Good luck. If you have the ignition on but car not started, you should be able to see the hours on the vehicle. My Tahoe shows it this way.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If it helps, I just bought my black 2013 from the state of SC via Govdeals. I ended up paying NADA "average trade-in" price for it . It was kinda risky since you arent allowed a test drive but I didnt like the idea of paying a dealer markup and i dont mind working on something if the body and interior is in good shape, and this one has no holes in it. I wasent dissapointed, They helped me jump it off and gave me a 45 day temp tag for $5. I aired up the tires and it made the 3 hour trip back to Atlanta ok. Im going to take it to the dealer for the open recall for the cooling fan and the traction control light. Otherwise it just needs a deep cleaning and a new O2 sensor to pass emissions.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it helps, I just bought my black 2013 from the state of SC via Govdeals. I ended up paying NADA "average condition" price for it . It was kinda risky since you arent allowed a test drive but I didnt like the idea of paying a dealer markup and i dont mind working on something if the body and interior is in good shape, and this one has no holes in it. I wasent dissapointed, They helped me jump it off and gave me a 45 day temp tag for $5. I aired up the tires and it made the 3 hour trip back to Atlanta ok. Im going to take it to the dealer for the open recall for the cooling fan and the traction control light. Otherwise it just needs a deep cleaning and a new O2 sensor to pass emissions.
To be fair, I don’t think their markup is all that crazy for Chicago motors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu