When is enough to let go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
I am with you @GoNoGo on the aggravation factor. But like one person said; it does fit my need. This car actually replaced my 2006 Lincoln Navigator which had over 206k. Didn't have any issues with the car. Just it had third row seating and didn't have a need for that big of car. So wanted something smaller, but could tow a small trailer or camper. The HOe fits the need. And it is much easier for me to get in and out of.
Another person mention about used VS new. I don't have the budget for new. I buy all my cars in cash. No car payments. So spending 70-89k for a car is crazy. Just for someone to push a grocery kart into it. And if it gets involved in an accident. Insurance won't total it. Which means your making payments on a wreck car. Rule is to buy a car 10 years or old and the insurance will total it. Always.... My 2002 Tahoe is a good foundation. I started a build project forum to mark my progress. Plus helps to keep the mind sharp.
So speaking of budget. I went to the local PPL and pulled an old steering box to save money. First mistake. I cleaned it up and painted it. Was looking good. So I thought it would be smart to make sure I could get the pitman arm off first before taking the old one off. OMG...after beating it for over 3 hours I was piss off to the world. Used BP Blaster, Heat, and had the right removal tool. Would only move about a 1/4 inch. It was not coming off. I even broke my vise! So took it back to LKQ and got my money back. Thank goodness...
The smart thing to do would have been to buy a refrib unit and install the new pitman arm. I was also going to replace the idle arm at the same time. That wouldn't come off. What luck. So thinking of taking it to a local shop and have them do the work. So degrading when I already replaced the whole front end myself.
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I watch Youtube vids of other units modified to keep me going. I am hoping that one day I'll have it sounding nasty to piss off the neighbors. Cheers
LKQ Steering box.jpg Idle Arm.jpg
This is what I started with. LKQ steering box and the idle arm. Issue I am trying to fix is the slop in the steering wheel. Car wanders all over the road. I am positive the steering box gear is shot. Can't adjust it. When I couldn't get the arm off I started on the idle arm and bracket. Couldn't get the arm off the center link. Got the bracket off no problem.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
I will tell you, honestly, I am passed the point of being able to work on cars/trucks. But have to do it cause I cant afford to otherwise.

After doing a minor to major repair, take a hot shower, I then spend a couple hours in my Jacuzzi, pop a few Oxy, and sleep it out. But I cant keep doing it...

Which is why I put a order in on a Brand New Rivian. Long Warranty, and hoping I can hang my wrench up.

I have taken to working on computers. Much easier, lots less grease, and just as expensive. That and my kids.

Edit: I know my signature shows my Envoy having 209k miles, but real world miles (speedo replaced by dealer, incorrectly), its closer to 370. You dont get those miles without lots of repairs! Amazingly, its still on the OEM exhaust (including the CATS), brake calipers, and rear control arms, rack and pinion, inner tie rods, and lots more. Good maintenance goes a long way!
I hear you on good maintenance. You take care of the car and it will take car of you. I see you had or have a Pontiac Aztek. That is my next project car. Always thought they where cool. But the body needs modify to look right.
pontiac-aztek-trans-am-rendering.jpg

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
Still have it.. Its the wives daily driver. It will be going away sooner or later... If she would ever quit redecorating it on the garage center pillar and taking mirrors off!@
That's cool. They are starting to come back and the prices are going back up. I found one that still has the cooler and the tent to go with it. I see you also have a Saab 97x. I am a big fan of Saab cars. My Son still has his 06' 95 Aero. Bad car, really fast. I bought a Saab 97x before I bought the Tahoe. I keep it a week and got rid of it. There was no place to put my stuff in the car. Like my drinks. For some reason it just didn't fit right. Goes back to the issue....Does it work for you.
I am still at the end of my rope with this Hoe. Like, do I keep throwing money at her. Or buy something newer, less work. Like is it really Worth it and is it enough. I have a Norway friend and he is rebuilding a Saab 95 wagon. He is doing all the work in his apartments parking garage. Even taking it down to the frame, rebuilding the engine and painting everything in detail. Car is awesome and admire his work. I asked him the same question. When is it enough. He said it doesn't matter about the dollar amount. If you like the car and enjoy it. You can't but a price on that. How many of you are at that point? No matter the money or the valve of the car. Does it matter...

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool. They are starting to come back and the prices are going back up. I found one that still has the cooler and the tent to go with it. I see you also have a Saab 97x. I am a big fan of Saab cars. My Son still has his 06' 95 Aero. Bad car, really fast. I bought a Saab 97x before I bought the Tahoe. I keep it a week and got rid of it. There was no place to put my stuff in the car. Like my drinks. For some reason it just didn't fit right. Goes back to the issue....Does it work for you.
I am still at the end of my rope with this Hoe. Like, do I keep throwing money at her. Or buy something newer, less work. Like is it really Worth it and is it enough. I have a Norway friend and he is rebuilding a Saab 95 wagon. He is doing all the work in his apartments parking garage. Even taking it down to the frame, rebuilding the engine and painting everything in detail. Car is awesome and admire his work. I asked him the same question. When is it enough. He said it doesn't matter about the dollar amount. If you like the car and enjoy it. You can't but a price on that. How many of you are at that point? No matter the money or the valve of the car. Does it matter...
They are rare, but the prices arent really coming back much.. Mine is a really rare build, with it being a 1 of 2 build, and the other is long gone made into cheap chinese steal by now. It got totalled a few years back. Mine has the cooler, tent package, hikers package, bikers package, rear bucket seats, leather, HUD/DIC, and AWD. My wife LOVES that car.

It has been totalled twice now. First time she T-bo!\!ed a Ford Fuckus. It didnt pop the air bags or do any frame damage, and I was able to find the parts needed to put it back together. Took me 2 days. 1 day to tear it down, 1 day to go to the yard, get the parts, and put them back on the car. No paint was required!!

Second time was hail.. I could do PDR, but at over 4700 dimples.. that would get EXPENSIVE!

I just replaced the door mirrors today, as my wife decided it was time, AGAIN, to rip the mirror off on the center post in the garage. This makes the 17th mirror in 10 years!

I love my 9-7x, I hate my 9-7x! The cup holders thing doesnt bother me to much, my coffee cup fits perfectly inbetween the hand brake, and the seat. Now if I have a cup of anything else... what were those engineers thinking! But its a power house, I tuned the engine, and its quick. Its fun doing AWD slides, but can be scarey in the winter. I am also to tall for it, my head is constantly rubbing on the headliner, very annoying.

Thinking about selling it, but I rebuild the top end of the motor last year, and she is singing along like a singer sewing machine! Mine has the G86 LSD, and I think I prefer the G80 locker.

Edit: ***** is a blacklisted word? Really?

Last edited:

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we will all get to that point eventually. I've always done most of my own work as well on older vehicles. Hell, my 2001 Hoe is my NEWEST vehicle!

It's a personal choice that involves how much time we have, how able are we to do it (health, space, and tools), money, etc. I think as long as I can, I will. Best of luck though and I'll bet you don't close the tools completely ;)
My 06 Silverado is my "newest" if you go by build date. It is like a month newer than my 06 Tahoe lol.
And yeah it is personal choice mostly. Im looking to replace my 95 f150 with a cat eye truck or 03 to 06 Tahoe/Yukon. The f150 is a good reliable truck but i think I want to get all similar gen vehicles so i can whittle my spare parts pile down. Having all the same interchangeable items for the most part would free up a bunch of room.

OP
OP
DadsToy

DadsToy

Reaction score
My 06 Silverado is my "newest" if you go by build date. It is like a month newer than my 06 Tahoe lol.
And yeah it is personal choice mostly. Im looking to replace my 95 f150 with a cat eye truck or 03 to 06 Tahoe/Yukon. The f150 is a good reliable truck but i think I want to get all similar gen vehicles so i can whittle my spare parts pile down. Having all the same interchangeable items for the most part would free up a bunch of room.
I see your not about the cost or the money value. Its about preference of style, personal choice. I would keep the Silverado and get the Tahoe. That way you would have similar vehicles. And like you said, have part that are interchangeable. I ditch the Ford. Makes you wonder about the newer cars today. How in the future would spare parts be available. Its not like the pick-pull lots are buy and setting up that era of cars. When I go to the PPL you still only see 1999-2010 cars. Nothing newer. I believe there is going to be time when our cars will be dinosaur like the cars in Cuba. And the dealerships will be the gatekeeper of spare parts for all cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14