When is enough to let go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadsToy

Reaction score
When is enough to let go of your Hoe? Factors to consider are the age of the car. Cost to keep it up. or is it worth just buying another car.
I started a project Tahoe with the mind set I was only going to use the profit from my other car to fix the Tahoe. Which is almost coming to an end. Then there is the issue of book value, just in case if I decided get rid of the car. I do most all the work to save money. But I am at the point where I am not physically able to work on the car any more. Sad to say, cause I enjoy working and fixing things. The satisfaction that I built it gives me the mental boost to keep going in life.
I work on the Tahoe last night trying to swap the steering box out. After 3hours of banging, on trying to get the idlers arm off. I called it quits... gave up on trying to fix it. I needed to remove the bracket in order to put the new one on. Had it on the vise, used the proper tools, heat etc. No one was going to win this battle. I am at a point I should just cut my losses and get rid of the car and start over with something else. Or is it worth it to keep on spending money. Have some one else do the work. And complete the project.
Have any of you just got to a point, saying is it really worth keeping?....Should I keep it at no matter the cost?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They make a puller that is affordable to remove those. Do you have one? Between one of those, an impact gun, heat and PB blaster you may get a victory. Is it failing to come out of the tapered holes or the splined shaft? It's also VERY difficult to knock things apart if the items have been unbolted from the frame. Don't give up! They don't make them like this anymore and the newer stuff is GARBAGE.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will tell you, honestly, I am passed the point of being able to work on cars/trucks. But have to do it cause I cant afford to otherwise.

After doing a minor to major repair, take a hot shower, I then spend a couple hours in my Jacuzzi, pop a few Oxy, and sleep it out. But I cant keep doing it...

Which is why I put a order in on a Brand New Rivian. Long Warranty, and hoping I can hang my wrench up.

I have taken to working on computers. Much easier, lots less grease, and just as expensive. That and my kids.

Edit: I know my signature shows my Envoy having 209k miles, but real world miles (speedo replaced by dealer, incorrectly), its closer to 370. You dont get those miles without lots of repairs! Amazingly, its still on the OEM exhaust (including the CATS), brake calipers, and rear control arms, rack and pinion, inner tie rods, and lots more. Good maintenance goes a long way!

Last edited:

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will tell you, honestly, I am passed the point of being able to work on cars/trucks. But have to do it cause I cant afford to otherwise.

After doing a minor to major repair, take a hot shower, I then spend a couple hours in my Jacuzzi, pop a few Oxy, and sleep it out. But I cant keep doing it...

Which is why I put a order in on a Brand New Rivian. Long Warranty, and hoping I can hang my wrench up.

I have taken to working on computers. Much easier, lots less grease, and just as expensive. That and my kids.
Talk about extremes! Rivian aren't cheap.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about extremes! Rivian aren't cheap.
Currently they arent.. But I ordered one pre-price gate (3/1/2022), they were about 17-30k cheaper, depending on options. The one I have speced is 76000, with a 7500 rebate.

68500 plus tag/tax/title.. Its about the going rate really... And still goes 0 to 60 in 3.3 secs.

But now I just have to wait for my order to be fulfilled. Current ETA is 1st quarter of 2024, but am supposed to be getting an update on that by the end of the month.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we will all get to that point eventually. I've always done most of my own work as well on older vehicles. Hell, my 2001 Hoe is my NEWEST vehicle!

It's a personal choice that involves how much time we have, how able are we to do it (health, space, and tools), money, etc. I think as long as I can, I will. Best of luck though and I'll bet you don't close the tools completely ;)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, you already have the best generation of these rigs, NBS. The 2wd should be easy enough to work on, should be. If the rig meets your needs, it is best to keep, IMO. Whatever you buy, if is used, will be an unknown and likely need some work. If you buy new, you got a warranty right out the door but also a large chunk of cash invested too. I am 70 and still work on mine because I love it and also do some work on the side for extra money, but I am very picky about what I work on.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard a few top execs left Rivian. The company has lost billions and can't fill orders due to parts and supply chain.Let's hope you get yours!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we will all get to that point eventually. I've always done most of my own work as well on older vehicles. Hell, my 2001 Hoe is my NEWEST vehicle!

It's a personal choice that involves how much time we have, how able are we to do it (health, space, and tools), money, etc. I think as long as I can, I will. Best of luck though and I'll bet you don't close the tools completely ;)
My dad did it until his late 70's or early 80's. My stepmother, aka "My Other Mother", made him stop when he was struggling with a transfer case. He was working on a Ford Explorer, though. Please don't hold that against us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts