Wheel well rubbing issue..Level Up question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I picked up a 2017 LT in July and it already had wheels and tires on it, but it does not have any sort of leveling kit on it. Wheel pic is below, but it looks like they are a 0 offset wheel per the Sota Offroad website. It had 285/55R20 Toyos on it that I hated. Loud and rough. I wanted a standard load tire to help smooth out the ride and I run Wildpeak A/T3W's on my Titan and love them, so that's what I wanted on the Tahoe. To avoid E rated tires, it was either stock 275/55R20, or slightly taller with a 275/60. Naturally that's the route I went. My wife has noticed some rubbing. I watched the tires/wheel wells today as she left for some errands, and there is some contact on the door hinge side of the front tires (pics also below). It looks like someone previously tied the liner back with a zip tie. So, before I go mashing on metal, will a 1" or 1.5" level up front get rid of this? Anyone experience something similar?

V9rg9IE.jpg
8nc1IC5.jpg
cipeMzK.jpg

6inarow

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I picked up a 2017 LT in July and it already had wheels and tires on it, but it does not have any sort of leveling kit on it. Wheel pic is below, but it looks like they are a 0 offset wheel per the Sota Offroad website. It had 285/55R20 Toyos on it that I hated. Loud and rough. I wanted a standard load tire to help smooth out the ride and I run Wildpeak A/T3W's on my Titan and love them, so that's what I wanted on the Tahoe. To avoid E rated tires, it was either stock 275/55R20, or slightly taller with a 275/60. Naturally that's the route I went. My wife has noticed some rubbing. I watched the tires/wheel wells today as she left for some errands, and there is some contact on the door hinge side of the front tires (pics also below). It looks like someone previously tied the liner back with a zip tie. So, before I go mashing on metal, will a 1" or 1.5" level up front get rid of this? Anyone experience something similar?

V9rg9IE.jpg
8nc1IC5.jpg
cipeMzK.jpg

Yea on my wife's 16 burb I installed the rough country 1.5 front and 1 inch back and running same size tires as you with no clearance issues I still took the ole heavy rubber hammer to inside of well just for little extra play room as well.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn the wheel lock to lock and it looks like the rub is level with the center of the wheel horizontally you can tell if moving the fender up will work, which I’d think it would.

OP
OP
U

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Full lock in either direction is clear. It is just that one spot where the zip tie is that rubs on both sides. The more I think about it the less I think a level will help. Or, if it helps for everyday use, I think it would still rub when off road with articulation going on. That isn't going to be real often, so the level may be worth it.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And lots of times folks zip tie just enough to get by you may have more room by pulling that tighter or a spot near it. I have 3-4 zip ties on one side.

OP
OP
U

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And lots of times folks zip tie just enough to get by you may have more room by pulling that tighter or a spot near it. I have 3-4 zip ties on one side.

I didn't think of that. Thanks, I'll look!

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I looked into this when ordering tires for my wifes rig. A level will not really gain you anymore clearance there. Turn the tire to the point where it rubs (or just about rubs), then use a floor jack and lift the front of the vehicle up an inch or two... it just dosnt accomplish much.

OP
OP
U

UNFMoose

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea I looked into this when ordering tires for my wifes rig. A level will not really gain you anymore clearance there. Turn the tire to the point where it rubs (or just about rubs), then use a floor jack and lift the front of the vehicle up an inch or two... it just dosnt accomplish much.

Yeah, thinking I need to use a mallet if I want the rubbing to go away with this tire size... just won't let the wife know...:angels2:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it’s rubbing metal? My front air dam needed a little counseling from a dremel too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission