Wheel cylinder leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I went offloading and blew out my wheel cylinder. I've replaced it 3 Times as well as the brake pads and springs etc. I've worked on both sides. But the rear drivers side Wheel cylinder still leaks. Each time I've replaced it the brakes have been a little better. Now the brake like doesn't come on. But it's still leaking. Any ideas would be appreciated.

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
its leaking from the wheel cylinder not the brake line. And only when I drive. I didn't rebuild them. But I bought them at oreillys

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
They can usually be rebuilt easily and reliably. I doubt it it anything you did, especially since it sounds like you've done this before. It could just be bad product. Usually they come off the shelf from parts houses as remnaufactured, unless it specifically states new on the box. It's possible that you have encountered a bad run. Someone on the assembly line could have honed out a bunch of them a little too much, creating too much clearance for the stock pistons and seals.
Try a different parts house, NAPA, Autozone, etc. See if the results are different. They shouldn't be blowing out.

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
Alright ty
its leaking from the wheel cylinder not the brake line. And only when I drive. I didn't rebuild them. But I bought them at oreillys
I'm not sure the exact part number I'll check when I'm home but they are 10 inch wheel cylinders on a 4wd yukon. I checked again last night and the leak may be very small. I also have spongy brakes or there is no pressure until it nearly bottom out. The truck stops but I'm definitely not comfortable on how far I have to push the pedal down before they work. But the Brake light is no longer turning on. It was before because the first two cylinders were leaking and the pedal would bottom out all the way and the brake light would come on.

OP
OP
O

Oldyukon95

Reaction score
I did not replace the drums and I didn't measure them but they look fine. What is the spec for thickness. They are smooth with no groves worn into them