What's The Best Way To Widen Rear Axle/Wheelbase?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btsyndicate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any feedback appreciated.. Currently suspension-wise, simply running a 3" drop in the rear just to level it out, rid the manufacturer forward rake, and installed/swapped OEM sway bars for HOTCHKINS performance anti sway. Trying to get wheel base a couple inches out on each side for more cornering and road-hugs. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210926_002054.jpg
    20210926_002054.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 5

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The distance between the rear wheels is slightly less than the distance between the front wheels, and I'm told that is by design, to improve the overall road tracking and handling of the truck. I cannot personally confirm this assertion.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The distance between the rear wheels is slightly less than the distance between the front wheels, and I'm told that is by design, to improve the overall road tracking and handling of the truck. I cannot personally confirm this assertion.
I’m not brand loyal, yet I’ll say GM full-size trucks handle better than the competition. And have for many generations. So they’re doing something right.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear axle swap=requires welding fabricating skills.

OP
OP
btsyndicate

btsyndicate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG/STICK welder, as well as experience and moderate skills, more on the TIG side. What kind of fab do you suggest?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Lincoln Electric Square Wave TIG/STICK welder, as well as experience and moderate skills, more on the TIG side. What kind of fab do you suggest?
To expand on what Dan said, just get spacers to put between the hub and wheels. How much wider do you want to go? You could also put 0 or negative offset wheels to push them out of the wells but you'll likely need trimming.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ONLY REAL option is to swap a wider axle in...

that said, Spacers with HUB CENTRIC DESIGN is the best, that places load off the studs...an deeper wheel with offset is a second but lseeser means.

i would lean towards a custom valved shock, it may firm the ride some, but is a much better method with out all the work and safety related concerns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KCW_Andrew