What's normal RPM's for idling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
My truck actually stalled on me tonight. Never done that before.

I noticed at idle I'm only at 500 rpm's, which seems awfully low to me, but I've never really paid any attention to it before. Anyone know what "normal" should be??

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 01 suburban and my idle is at 500 rpm all the time. doesnt seem to be struggling at the rpm so i dont worry about it

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine generally idles right around 600 and seems pretty healthy there so i guess 500 could be slightly low. Maybe if it's still idling low, let engine temp warm up, turn it off and restart it and maybe that will even it out. Engines don't seem to like the cold and I hear it gets a bit chilly this time of year up in alaska

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
mine idles around 1k when its a cold start up and will sit right around 600-700
500 the idle starts to get rough

I don't know about sea foam but taking your intake off and cleaning the throttle body is usually what cures rough or low idle

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam has always been the trick for my truck whenever the idle seems to be lower and when the truck wants to stall out! But do the others at the same time, good maintenance!

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Ok, sounds good. Seafoam I can do. Might start running a few ounces of two-stroke oil per tank, too, just to try that out.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you change your fuel filter lately? Could be that. Hope it isnt the pump though. Good luck! Let us know what you find out

YukonJ

Reaction score
Mine is sort of doign the same thing, except it hasnt stalled "yet". I have the 8.1l and it seems to hover around 500/550 after warm up. I get a slight "buck" or miss every few seconds...now the strange thing is it seems to only do it (or at least its MUCH worse) while in gear. If I pop it into Neutral I don't feel it. My mechanic has cleaned the TB twice and my fuel filter and PUMP have both been replaced (the pump went out last week). I am two tanks into 2cycle oil and have seen no change in this situation (I have gotten 1mpg gain though :).

I want to clean my TB myself, what is the best way to go about this and what product should I use?

Thanks.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to do anything yet....crazy week. Christmas, wife's birthday, son's birthday, all within 4 days. No more stalls, though, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts