What year Yukon 2500...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bondservant2

Reaction score
Greetings...!
I have started my search for a new family hauler and think I want a Yukon XL 2500. Uses will be recreational hauling, towing a camper and general use. It seems the drive lines are good long lasting but the sheet metal may be the weak spots (rust mostly).
I’d like to hear thoughts on what may be considered the “best” years of manufacture. Currently looking at a 2004 with a hair under 100k and has had a good maintenance schedule. Seems like a nice rig....
Thanks in advance....

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a real good independent mechanic put the Yukon on the rack and have him check everything out just to be sure. It is nice [and mostly hard to find] that this one has a good maintenance history.

Welcome from NYC Jerome!!

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings...!
I have started my search for a new family hauler and think I want a Yukon XL 2500. Uses will be recreational hauling, towing a camper and general use. It seems the drive lines are good long lasting but the sheet metal may be the weak spots (rust mostly).
I’d like to hear thoughts on what may be considered the “best” years of manufacture. Currently looking at a 2004 with a hair under 100k and has had a good maintenance schedule. Seems like a nice rig....
Thanks in advance....
I have a 2005 Tahoe and a 2005 Suburban... My understanding is that they made some changes, midyear, in 2004 that carried over to the 2005s. Those changes were for the better and included electric cooling fans. But I have gleaned that knowledge from reading through this site and poking around the interwebs, so you'll want to validate it for yourself.

As an aside, 2005 was the last year they made quadrasteer for the Suburbans, so if you are interested in that you'll want to look at Suburbans in addition to Yukon XLs.

Good hunting!

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the GMT800 body style, the 8.1L comes with the 10.5" full floating rear, and when coupled with the tow package with 4.10 gears really bumps up towing capacity (around 12k iirc). The 6.0L comes with the 9.5" semi-floating rear.

OP
OP
B

bondservant2

Reaction score
For the GMT800 body style, the 8.1L comes with the 10.5" full floating rear, and when coupled with the tow package with 4.10 gears really bumps up towing capacity (around 12k iirc). The 6.0L comes with the 9.5" semi-floating rear.

I didn’t know about the Extra Heavy Duty 10.5” rear end offered with the 8.1L....that’s interesting. Not sure I would ever need that much tow capacity. But, the whole reason for going 2500 is for the heavy duty drivetrain, steering and brakes so that is something to consider. Am I correct in assuming the 8.1L was discontinued in 2006...?

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know about the Extra Heavy Duty 10.5” rear end offered with the 8.1L....that’s interesting. Not sure I would ever need that much tow capacity. But, the whole reason for going 2500 is for the heavy duty drivetrain, steering and brakes so that is something to consider. Am I correct in assuming the 8.1L was discontinued in 2006...?

That is correct, however all GMT900s come with the 10.5" full floating rear, and 2008+ have the 6L90E trans which helps with both towing and fuel economy. There were some updates to the 6.0L as well... the L96 paired with the 6L90E and a tune is a solid setup for daily duties with periodic towing.

02 Yukon Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but really enjoy reading all the posts so far. Seems to be a really great forum. Just thought I'd throw in that I own a 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLT. 6.0L engine. So far, I love it! Used it to tow trailer to Canada from Kentucky this year and it worked great. 185,000 miles on it right now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but really enjoy reading all the posts so far. Seems to be a really great forum. Just thought I'd throw in that I own a 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 SLT. 6.0L engine. So far, I love it! Used it to tow trailer to Canada from Kentucky this year and it worked great. 185,000 miles on it right now.

Welcome and Merry Christmas Chad!

Post up some photos of that beast when you can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs