What would you do? Dealer negligent on warranty repair, now out of warranty and out $1675

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know if you figure it out. I don't think there are 2 separate condensers but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my 2017 Tahoe LT to Dimmit Chevrolet in Clearwater FL for AC service and to get a washer nozzle replaced, as AC was not blowing cold, figured I would get the last couple things fixed before my 3/36 warranty ran out. This was July 2018.

Dealer said they "couldn't find the leak but they put in Freon so now the AC is working fine" . Which is NOT the way you repair AC, I have a ton of experience with AC systems on homes, and its the same on vehicles -- its a closed system, so if you are losing Freon, you have a leak that needs to be repaired . Period. Freon doesn't leak out of a properly functioning system, its not like adding air to your tires .

Same dealer said they didn't have the washer parts, so I waited 2 weeks for a phone call, then gave up on "Dim-wit " Cheverolet in Clearwater FL and went to Dick Norris Buick/GMC, right down the road. They repaired the washers within an hour and I was on my way.

Flash-forward to this year, April it starts to get warmer in Florida, so I take the Tahoe back to Dick Norris Buick/GMC, they tell me I have virtually NO Freon in the system, they can't find the leak, but they don't give up, they finally located leak in the rear condenser in the back . But now I am at 37,000 miles , so I have to pay $1675, for something Dimmit Chevrolet should have found and fixed under warranty.

So I know things happen to expensive trucks, I'm a big boy, and I am not going to cry about paying for repairs, but still feel like Dimmit Chevrolet was negligent in not finding the leak, it AC 101 that its a closed system, I would expect a shady used car lot to pump in Freon and send me on my way, but NOT a franchised, large dealership like Dimmit Chevrolet .

What would you guys do? Obviously a lawsuit would be silly for $1675, but thinking there has to be some recourse for their screw-up.

Friend of mine works as a Ford service manager, he said there should be a CLP (customer loyalty program), that might reimburse me at least something.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Aside from ripping them up on Yelp and other sites, I don't really know where to start to get any kind of positive result.

ANY and ALL replies are appreciated!!!
tell them you will get the EPA involved or state based one.. you may have to go to small claims

PwrdbyM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I doubt you'll have much luck with the Chevy dealer because their response will be, well you didn't bring it back to us, had you done that we would've fixed it. Which it's possible they may have. I don't blame you for not returning however. The best bet is to contact GM and try to get some resolution through straightforward facts and paperwork. Making outrageous claims about EPA or attorneys is going to get you tossed into the "will never be satisfied" category. Good luck.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contact GM and open a case.

If its on paper, from dimwit, that they repaired your system and it failed again within certain time/miles of their fix, gm has to reimburse you. The time/miles thing should be on your receipt from dimwit and reimbursment thing is in the owners manual.

Any work performed and or GM parts installed by any gm dealer are warrantied for at least a year/12k miles. You dont have to go back to original dealer, thats horseshit, it was ‘fixed’ under warranty and failed within a year of their ‘fix’
When they ask why you didn’t go back to dimwit, tell them their service dept is horrible and you didn’t trust them.

Contact gm, open a case and get your money back.

https://www.chevrolet.com/certified-service/parts-warranty

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have needed to go back to Dimmit since they were the ones who couldn't find the leak when you were under warranty OR call GM customer care. Already having paid for the repairs may work against you but you can still try calling.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but that's only for the front condenser unit, per service advisor, unless he's BSing me, these trucks hacks have 2 condensers, front and rear. Already paid for the repair, but still I think I should do SOMETHING to get at least partially reimbursed.

It sounds like you are confusing the condenser with the evaporator. The evaporators are inside the vehicle.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In indiana you have to for warranty work if its Chevrolet you take it to Chevrolet dealer and if I'm reading thread correct you had a GMC dealer repair that might why they didn't warranty.With prevous problem it should be covered. Good Luck

Not true.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s ez to get the first dealer to honor the 3/36 warr or reimburse you. If they recharged a known leaky system while willfully and negligently not finding a leak, follow up with your State & Fed credentialing agency who certified the dealer to handle refrigerants (Freon).

They’ll help you with finding the laws the dealer broke by recharging your leaky system and suggest a course of action. Brotha, the owner/principal of that dealer will do whatever it takes to get outta the pickle he’s in that threatens his dealership from working on a/c repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you understand what "willfully and negligently" means. Have you ever lost your car keys and couldn't find them? Does that mean you willfully and negligently can not find them? But then you found them a few days later? How far do you tear apart your house to find them?

Would you really want your vehicle "randomly" torn apart trying to find a leak or put dye in the system and recharge it to hopefully see it coming out somewhere?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have needed to go back to Dimmit since they were the ones who couldn't find the leak when you were under warranty OR call GM customer care. Already having paid for the repairs may work against you but you can still try calling.
no he doesn't just like Pete said when you have a repair done by a GM dealer you have a nationwide warranty from any GM dealer for the warranty period, as long as you keep and provide your original receipt. you could be traveling and have a axle fail, have it repaired in timbucktoo alabama, drive to Florida have it break again and and have it repaired again at any dealer in your area for FREE. It is stated as such on your receipt. "the selling dealer or any dealer handling the vehicle line may perform the repairs or replacements covered under this warranty" again as long as you have the original receipt which validates the date and mileage as applicable. The warranty is provided by the GM corporation. not by the dealer, unless you specifically had work done by the dealer and they told you it was not a warranty repair. i.e. dealer comp, etc..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne