What would make cruise control turn off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first bought my Tahoe cruise control didn't work and I had the dealership fix it before I took the Tahoe. Cruise control has worked great ever since and has only turned off on me 2 times unexpectedly..

The first was when my lifter failed, I was driving with cruise control on and then it turned off with a flashing check engine light.

The last time cruise control turned off unexpectedly I was driving with cruise control and it just turned off but nothing was wrong with the Tahoe, I turned cruise control back on and no drama ever since.

What parameters trigger cruise control to turn off?

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was sure that it was the brake pedal switch I would have no problem going for it but I’ve only had it happen once and hasn’t happened since

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was sure that it was the brake pedal switch I would have no problem going for it but I’ve only had it happen once and hasn’t happened since

Give it a few more months or year, maybe when the weather changes. It'll begin to happen more often. When it gets to the point where it won't set or immediately disengages, jab the brake pedal then lift up on it with your foot behind it and see if you can set your cruise. Then, find this thread and scroll back up to @swathdiver's post where he so graciously provided you a part number and shop for one, hoping the price hasn't tripled by then.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are usually not quick to resort to throwing parts at the problem so I’m sure there’s a good a reason for it but it hasn’t been explained to me yet.

I hope you can understand my caution to throwing my wallet at the problem without a little investigation, I would be surprised if there is literally no other reason cruise control would disengage other than a faulty brake pedal switch but that hasn’t been explained.

The first time my cruise control disengaged was accompanied by a check engine light so I know there are other parameters that can have influence on cruise control operation.

Also stated in my initial post the brake pedal switch was replaced when I bought my Tahoe 4 years ago

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are usually not quick to resort to throwing parts at the problem so I’m sure there’s a good a reason for it but it hasn’t been explained to me yet.

I hope you can understand my caution to throwing my wallet at the problem without a little investigation, I would be surprised if there is literally no other reason cruise control would disengage other than a faulty brake pedal switch but that hasn’t been explained.

The first time my cruise control disengaged was accompanied by a check engine light so I know there are other parameters that can have influence on cruise control operation.

Also stated in my initial post the brake pedal switch was replaced when I bought my Tahoe 4 years ago
It's $16 on Amazon Dustin. If the amber light does not come on when you press the button on the steering wheel it could be something else. A DTC often disables cruise control so as not to damage the engine. The switch is the culprit 95% of the time. My new SSR for the trailer brakes went bad and it too was replaced 4 years ago.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the info on what will cause the cruise control to disengage from alldatadiy (subscription highly recommended - I use it all the time). I emphasized the part below that says that the reason for the last 8 times the cruise control was disengaged will be logged within the ECM memory so you can use your scanner to figure it out if it happens again. BUT...it's the brake light switch :2cents::

Cruise Control Disengaged

The engine control module (ECM) disengages the cruise control operation based on the signals from the following switches:
  • The stop lamp switch
  • The cruise control On/Off switch
  • The cruise control cancel switch
The body control module (BCM) determines when the cruise control cancel switch is activated. When the normally open cancel switch is closed, the BCM detects the predetermined voltage signal on the cruise control function switch circuit. The BCM sends a GMLAN serial data message to the ECM in order to disengage the cruise control system.

The stop lamp switch is mounted on the brake pedal bracket. When the brake pedal is applied, the normally open stop lamp switch closes. The ECM monitors the stop lamp signal circuit through a discrete input and a GMLAN serial data message signal from the BCM indicating the brake status. When both signals indicate the brake pedal is applied, the ECM will disengage the cruise control system.

The Cruise Control System will disengage when the cruise control on/off switch is switched OFF. The vehicle speed stored in the memory of the engine control module will be erased when the cruise control On/Off switch is turned OFF, or the ignition switch is turned OFF.

The Cruise Control System will disengage when the ECM detects that a driver override function has been active for approximately 60 seconds. When the Cruise Control System has been disengaged, the ECM sends a GMLAN serial message to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) in order to turn OFF the Cruise Engaged indicator, and to the driver information center (DIC) in order to turn OFF the CRUISE SET TO ### message.

*******Each time the Cruise Control System is disengaged, the ECM will keep track of the reason for system disengagement. The last 8 disengagement reasons will be recorded within the ECM memory, and can be viewed with a scan tool.*******

Cruise Control Inhibited

The engine control module (ECM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:
  • The ECM has not detected a brake pedal activation from the body control module (BCM).
  • A Cruise Control System DTC has been set.
  • The vehicle speed is less than 40.2 km/h (25 mph).
  • The vehicle speed is too high.
  • The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
  • The engine RPM is too low.
  • The engine RPM is too high.
  • The system voltage is not between 9-16 volts.
  • The Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) is active for more than 2 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl