What to run for off-road style tires on stock 17's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, getting to the point that the tires that came on my truck are going to be needing replacement. It is a 04 tahoe, i just put different torsion keys in the front (not sure if they lifted in much or not..they were free from a buddy) and i also added the airlift 1000 bags to the inside of my rear coils. Currently i have the front fender lip up to about 36.25 in and the back is slightly higher pretty close to 37 in. both measure at the center of the wheel. I was looking for a good aggressive looking tire that will fit on the stock 17 in wheels (factory size is a p265/70/r17). A bit bigger would be sweet if it won't rub, other wise something with some cool off roading looks would be good.

I also want it to last a while as i do drive a lot of highway miles (i know i should get highway tires but off-roading tires look better imo.) So far i like some of the stuff from Interco tire company, ie. super swampers but i don't think they will last long on the street. They make a Trxus (spell?) tire that looks pretty darn good and has tread geared more towards on-road w/ snow and ice but i dont see a size that will work for me. I am looking for something with good off road looks, decent life time out of it, and it must do decent on snow and some ice (i know that nothing works all that well on ice except true winter tires or studded tires).... sooo what do any of you have or recommend for a tire, i am up for any brand not too picky on that.

Donkey Punch

Panantukan
Reaction score
Alright, getting to the point that the tires that came on my truck are going to be needing replacement. It is a 04 tahoe, i just put different torsion keys in the front (not sure if they lifted in much or not..they were free from a buddy) and i also added the airlift 1000 bags to the inside of my rear coils. Currently i have the front fender lip up to about 36.25 in and the back is slightly higher pretty close to 37 in. both measure at the center of the wheel. I was looking for a good aggressive looking tire that will fit on the stock 17 in wheels (factory size is a p265/70/r17). A bit bigger would be sweet if it won't rub, other wise something with some cool off roading looks would be good.

I also want it to last a while as i do drive a lot of highway miles (i know i should get highway tires but off-roading tires look better imo.) So far i like some of the stuff from Interco tire company, ie. super swampers but i don't think they will last long on the street. They make a Trxus (spell?) tire that looks pretty darn good and has tread geared more towards on-road w/ snow and ice but i dont see a size that will work for me. I am looking for something with good off road looks, decent life time out of it, and it must do decent on snow and some ice (i know that nothing works all that well on ice except true winter tires or studded tires).... sooo what do any of you have or recommend for a tire, i am up for any brand not too picky on that.

The bridgestone dueller AT Revos are a pretty good choice. Aggressive tread, they clean out fairly good, great in the snow and sand and are quiet on the highway. Toyo makes about the same tire tread called Open Country and I think it may be a little less expensive. I've had 2 sets on my jeep, never failed me once. On my yukon I have the Open country tires but its a 285/60/18. In the stock form im sure you can run the 275 and perhaps even the 285's with no problem. Though I would stay with a 70 or 65 series sidewall to lessen the chances of any rubbing.

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the silverado in my sig with the 2/4 drop had nitto terra grapplers 265/70/17 on it when i lifted it back up. smooth like a all terrian tire, but a better looking one almost like a mud terrian.

you could even fit there 295 if you wanted.

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

nitto2.gif
nitto1.gif

Last edited:

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could check out the new Michelin A/t2 they are an on off road tire that is built more for the highway also. Dont have the most aggressive tread but I have heard from several people that have them that they like them.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for the bridgestone revo's, they're a good mid point between a street tire as well as a snow/ ice tire, I ran into the same problem with 6 months of winter and a 30+ mile commute on the highway everyday and I'll be puttin them back on wen I take my 22's off. I had a no name mud tires on it when I bought it nd I couldn't hear myself think on the highway...... Did look pretty badass tho....even with a slow leak in 2 of them

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had plenty of people that had bridgestone duelers on and they like the traction...but that all say that they seem to wear out in about 30k miles or less..even with regular rotation. Also had a mechanic that changes a lot of tires say that the factory duelers where out quick.

on the toyo open country...my dad had a set on a 95 tahoe and they seemed to get shredded pretty quick.

Anyone had Sport kings? or Mud kings? they are a cheaper tire(no big brand name) but i am not sure if they last long.

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I could see them wearing out somewhat early as the rubber on my bridgestone dueler h/l's seems a little softer than some other tires I've had but with a softer rubber your gunna get better traction/control on the street, massachusetts by just had a solid 2 months of heavy heavy rain and driving 65+ mph on the highway I was fine but softer is probly the opposite of wat you would want for an off road, plus bridgestones ain't cheap so if u find a deal go for it

Crazy Al

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really fair to compare the Bridgestone Duelers with the Dueler Revos, different tire. I've had 4 sets of Dueler Revos, and all have lasted 45-50k miles (early change if I was going into winter). Down side to those is they are absolutely useless in mud or water (I've floated my trucks more than once, more than twice...)

MASS-HOE'Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of dueler revos for my winter tires, more meant to say sumthin about how I bought the dueler h/l's after I had liked the revos ( as i posted earlier in this thread) and they are different but with my limited experience with bridgestone I was trying to say I was impressed with them before so got slightly off topic

Original poster; buy whatever you want for what your gunna do the most, off road specific tires are fun in the snow but not necessary and are loud as anything on the pavement at higher speeds

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a set of 15's would fit in place of my stock 17's or even a 16 inch rim?? Then maybe i can get a set of highway tires and a set of off road tires and not have to make a comprimise.

I like the interco Trxus tire look... but i dont want to fry a set of tires in 10-15k miles especially since they cost more to start with.

I do hunt quite a bit and take gravel and field roads..plus here in mn we get some decent snow and ice. So if i can fit a smaller rim and put a set of off roaders on them it would be an ok deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667