What To Pay for Complete Paint Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2005 Yukon SLT + needs to be repainted. The hood and roof are bad (clear coat gone, paint faded) but the rest (minus the luggage rack and wiper arms that I can repaint) looks fine, at say, 10 feet and beyond. I have looked at replacing the vehicle but it has been so reliable, drives better than the newer models (at least to me) and I like it so much that I want to keep it. It only has 173K miles and I only drive about 7K/year now that I'm retired. I've been to two reputable paint shops and both have advised against a complete paint job as they are concerned about not being able to get trim pieces/trim piece attachments if they damage them when they remove them for a complete paint job. Any advice? I'm in El Paso, TX and would welcome any recommendations for a good paint shop if any of you are in this area.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that’s their concern maybe get a detailed list from them of the trim pieces/moldings their concerned with and just source them yourself. At that age/mileage might be a good idea to replace them as good measure. They’re an insignificant cost compared to a whole vehicle repaint.

For a Tahoe, assuming repainting to the same OEM color/paint and not changing the color I would figure about $6-$8K minimum.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree with @CMoore711 on the price for a complete paint job. MAACO is less but will be junk. The trim can be had from other suppliers. You can also leave the trim pieces off and do a smooth side look. A bit more body prep for that though.

I had an 02 LT that I priced and was around $7k but I ended up getting my 05 Z71 and the paint on it is in great shape.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @CMoore711 on the price for a complete paint job. MAACO is less but will be junk. The trim can be had from other suppliers. You can also leave the trim pieces off and do a smooth side look. A bit more body prep for that though.

I had an 02 LT that I priced and was around $7k but I ended up getting my 05 Z71 and the paint on it is in great shape.
Would never let 95% of their outlets touch my vehicle, but I loved the old "Uh Oh Better Get Maaco" commercials when I was a kid.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since paint jog are so expensive now you may want to look into getting the vehicle wrapped or sprayed with plastidip, that have some very cool stuff and colors out there, and the pricing will be way better than paint. Just a thought,

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Paint jobs are expensive, only you can decide if the investment is worth it to you. Four years ago I got a very good paint job on a similar sized Jeep. From Maaco of all places. Paintwork all comes down to attention to detail and the skill of the guy wielding the spray gun. I was clear with the shop manager about my expectations and the paint guy was a Jeep enthusiast so it all worked out well.
In that build I wanted the best materials for durability and workmanship that would stand the test of time.

I spent about 4k and did some of the preparations myself like pulling all the lights, trim, and door gaskets. That last because it was a color change and I wanted the sills done.

Four years later and it still looks as good as the day I picked it up.I’m satisfied.

If you have the skills I’d pull the trim myself. That way you can take your time and be gentle with it.

PS- some people in the RV community cross the border to get their motorhomes painted. That’s a job that runs well into five figures here. Numbers I’ve read seems the Mexican paint jobs cost about half the rate here. I have no personal experience with that.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’ve got to do a little hustle to find a paint & body man willing to take it on as a side job. If the guy has a full time job at a regular shop, you can check out his work.

The shop owner may also be cool with him doing it. The hood and roof will have to be taken down fairly aggressively to remove all the contamination. Roof racks must be removed or it’ll look like crap and leave seeds for rust intrusion.

Plan on a timeline and the work to be done in steps. Pay for the work on a schedule too. Got another hoopty to drive while it’s being done? Figure around $2k with a pro doing it on the side.

What color is it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve got to do a little hustle to find a paint & body man willing to take it on as a side job. If the guy has a full time job at a regular shop, you can check out his work.

The shop owner may also be cool with him doing it. The hood and roof will have to be taken down fairly aggressively to remove all the contamination. Roof racks must be removed or it’ll look like crap and leave seeds for rust intrusion.

Plan on a timeline and the work to be done in steps. Pay for the work on a schedule too. Got another hoopty to drive while it’s being done? Figure around $2k with a pro doing it on the side.

What color is it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
this is how i get most of my paint work done.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a GOOD paint job that will last, you’re probably going to easily spend $10k. Anywhere the paint is peeling will have to be sanded completely down to bare metal or it will fail again and that is a lot of labor. I was quoted $3k to repaint the hood and roof on an 07 Denali SWB I was thinking about buying.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since your retired do it yourself, you have plenty of time and it is the cheapest way to get a quality job. I painted my 95 Bronco in my garage, it took me a couple of weeks for probably less than 1k in materials and tools (paint gun). As long as you do some good prep and put enough paint on it to correct any mistakes while color sanding your all set.