What to look for in a 98 2dr

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Will Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently took over a 99 2dr Tahoe from my father who can't drive a truck anymore. I fell in love with the Tahoe, as did my wife. She have me the green light to do all the mods I want provided I get a daily driver that's safe and reliable (newborn at home). I found a 98 2 door that had a lot of work done about 3 years ago. Guy claims the body has 150k on it but the motor was replaced with a new 5.7 crate 350 (about 500miles on motor) and a rebuilt tranny and rear diff. The truck has basically sat in storage for the past 3 years since all this work was done. I haven't seen the truck in person, but want to go look at it this weekend. What should I be looking at? The price seems about right considering the motor tranny and diff were done. What should I be worried about. Anything specific I should look at. Has a clean carfax but has not been registered in 3 years. I'm hesitant to buy it thinking it is someone's headache who didn't do the right job.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, I'm confused. So you got a tahoe from your dad, and now you're looking to get another?

Look for rust, obviously. Take a jack and check the front end components. If it won't run I'd offer him a grand for it. If it does run, drive it, check for engine lights, etc.

OP
OP
W

Will Hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes. I have 1 now from my father who is unable to drive anymore, and am looking to buy another. My fathers I will make my toy, while the new one would be a daily driver.

I'm just a bit hesitant that the guy put all that time and money into outing a new crate motor in it and let sit for a few years and is now selling. I don't want to end up with someone's headache and am looking to see if there is anything I should make sure I take a good look at besides the obvious.

2000tahoeZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, there is SO much with a motor that can be wrong, and can only be figured out by trying to get it running. If it's not running, I would low ball the hell out of him. You can easily get 1000 bucks back out of it.

rmodel65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think id keep the one you got for your dad as a stock driver and mod the unknown truck..

PsychoPimpKiller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
She have me the green light to do all the mods I want provided I get a daily driver that's safe and reliable (newborn at home).

I have an 8 month old and it is a little bit of a pain getting him in and out of my 2 door Tahoe. Luckily, I have another car that I usually use to transport him around in. I've debated on getting a 2004-2006 Yukon Denali, Escalade, Tahoe or Suburban (something with a 3rd row seat) to help me out when my wife and I plan on having another kid next year but I don't want to give up my 2 door. Good luck in your search.