What to buy for reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vovgan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking into buying a 2019-2020 Suburban Premier or Yukon XL Denali.
Trying to decide between a 5.3L -6spd vs 6.2L -10spd engines.

From the research I've done - it seems like the 5.3L has less problems - BUT I'm questioning whether the 6-speed transmission is ok. I really want the 10-speed.
I will be driving it loaded with 7 adults most of the time and maybe tow a couple times a year.

Does anyone have any incite on reliability of 5.3L -6spd vs 6.2L -10spd engines?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else will chime in that owns these rigs. Given the option I’d always go with a 6.2 over a 5.3.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RELIABILITY is the same, enjoyability is the larger engine.
the reliability portion is in the rest of the package, a LT will have less bells and whistles therefore less issue's down the road, the higher the trim the more cost of upkeep
that is how it goes.
for instance a basic mirror is cheap.
a mirror with camera, blind spot, autodim, etc, etc is much more
and that just carries over to everything else.
if you are willing to accept that this is how it is then you will be happy with more goodies
in either case, good maintenance is what keeps it on the road
random drivetrain issue's happen, it's a roll of the dice, just like everytime you drive thru a intersection and the opposing person didn't stop

Last edited:

umar96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't own (yet) but based on my research so far, the diesel is the most reliable.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking into buying a 2019-2020 Suburban Premier or Yukon XL Denali.
Trying to decide between a 5.3L -6spd vs 6.2L -10spd engines.

From the research I've done - it seems like the 5.3L has less problems - BUT I'm questioning whether the 6-speed transmission is ok. I really want the 10-speed.
I will be driving it loaded with 7 adults most of the time and maybe tow a couple times a year.

Does anyone have any incite on reliability of 5.3L -6spd vs 6.2L -10spd engines?
In this generation of vehicle, when GM redesigned the cooling system for the transmission they installed a thermostat on the side of the transmission to keep the temps up. Well, this limits their life to about 100K miles. All that heat causes the torque converter clutch lining material to fail and it goes through the whole transmission and ruins everything.

There is now a fix for this but if you do decide on a 5.3/6-speed, they are excellent performers but budget for a new transmission at around that mileage.

The 6.2s are so lovely and so much nicer with a 10-speed behind them! If insurance premiums are a non-issue with the 6.2 and you're not a cheapskate who's going to pump 87 octane swill into a high performance engine, get it.

DPearson1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In this generation of vehicle, when GM redesigned the cooling system for the transmission they installed a thermostat on the side of the transmission to keep the temps up. Well, this limits their life to about 100K miles. All that heat causes the torque converter clutch lining material to fail and it goes through the whole transmission and ruins everything.

There is now a fix for this but if you do decide on a 5.3/6-speed, they are excellent performers but budget for a new transmission at around that mileage.

The 6.2s are so lovely and so much nicer with a 10-speed behind them! If insurance premiums are a non-issue with the 6.2 and you're not a cheapskate who's going to pump 87 octane swill into a high performance engine, get it.
Swathdiver, I am interested in the fix for the 5.3/6-speed you mentioned. I have a 2018 Tahoe with that combination. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts