Is it possible to swap a 5.3L/6L80 for a 6.2L/10L80?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdebacker

Reaction score
****Before anyone says anything, I don't want to buy a different vehicle because I love the brown interior my Suburban has. No 6.2L/10 speed SUV offers the same brown interior mine has****

I absolutely love my '17 Suburban Premier. It has everything I want (rear air suspension, brown leather interior, heated AND COOLED front seats, heated second row buckets, sunroof, heads up display, tow package, an awesome 4wd system, etc), EXCEPT for the 6.2L V8 and 10 speed.

I live in the rockies of Colorado and would love to have more gears and more power for towing up (and down) the mountain passes. I feel like the 5.3L is underpowered and the 6 speed has huge gaps between gears.

Is it possible to swap in a 6.2L/10L80 from a 2018-20 Yukon or Burb into my '17 Suburban?

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be a direct bolt in but there would be some tuning issues.

Have you thought about maybe just adding a whipple or a turbo?

OP
OP
tdebacker

tdebacker

Reaction score
Have you thought about maybe just adding a whipple or a turbo?
Yeah I thought about a Whipple, but I still want more gears. My work vehicles are Expeditions and Transits with the 10 speeds and I think it would be so much better for towing.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you swapped wiring harnesses with it and got the computer it should be possible. Transmission brace too? I haven't heard of anyone on this forum doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011