What to ask dealer when ordering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschevelle4

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum. Been on the 67-72 trucks forum a long time and a big chevy guy my whole life. I’m getting ready to order a ‘22 Tahoe and am wondering what are some good questions to ask the dealer? Should I ask them how many allocations they get/have, or if I’m going on a wait list, etc. It’s a medium/large size dealership that’s the busiest in my area but they have 0 tahoes on the lot. I already spoke to them briefly on the phone and they told me to plan on 2-3x normal delivery time which is usually 3 months.

I’ll be trading in a Blue Velvet 2017 Tahoe LS which we loved, and planning to order a Midnight Blue ‘22 Tahoe Premier 3.0L Diesel with sunroof as the only additional option. 2nd row bench. (Floor liner package and Mudlfaps if possible but can gladly get that stuff aftermarket.)

Is there a chance it will get built quicker without having any extra option packages?

Thanks in advance, I’ve already learned a ton from this site.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend to ask if they have allocation to order what you want and to tell you what constraints are on what you want. Last I hear the premier was constrained until at least March with 0% allocation. I had to give up on my HC deluxe and had to ordered a 6.2 Z71 as an example. Otherwise your order will just sit at 1100.

OP
OP
S

sschevelle4

Reaction score
I would recommend to ask if they have allocation to order what you want and to tell you what constraints are on what you want. Last I hear the premier was constrained until at least March with 0% allocation. I had to give up on my HC deluxe and had to ordered a 6.2 Z71 as an example. Otherwise your order will just sit at 1100.
Ok good to know. When did you place your order for the Z71?

Funny I’m not even ready right this minute, but I will be by summertime or thereabouts. I figure if I wait til then to order, who knows how long it will take. I’m pretty picky with vehicles so I’d sooner order what I want and wait rather than settle for a combo I’m not in love with.

gaffster01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was ordered in Aug, built missing parts on Oct 11 then sat for 2 months and supposedly I will get around Jan 11th.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong (it's happened once before) but I thought I read somewhere that a sunroof is only available as part of a package?

Elise201424

Reaction score
looking back at my experience this is what I would have done

1. Call down to all the dealers over the phone and find out the following
- Do you have a mark up? If no then awesome they stay in the list. If yes then ask if they have a mark up for custom orders ?
2- Do you have a current waiting list for orders? Now, most sales people don’t really know how this process works so they will ask their inventory manager. If they have a list what number would you be. What is their required deposit. Go on the GMC website and make your car. Get a copy of the link and email it to yourself. Then ask the sales person to go ask their ordering manager with your specific build what are the constraints. I am guessing diesel because I have been waiting for my order since may but I do have other features.
Once the inventory manager looks you will get an eta.
Dealers get allocation on Thursday so Friday is a good time for them to get an idea.

Once I get all of that I would decide where to place my order. Also considering deposits and asking about other dealer adds like mandatory items they put on.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 thing? Make sure any deposits and orders are refundable and can be cancelled at no charge if you find something else.... as you very well might while waiting....

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Constraints are usually updated on Thurdays. I’d ask for what is on constraint before ordering. If you order anything on constraint you’ll be waiting a lot longer than if you order one without any constraints.

OP
OP
S

sschevelle4

Reaction score
Constraints are usually updated on Thurdays. I’d ask for what is on constraint before ordering. If you order anything on constraint you’ll be waiting a lot longer than if you order one without any constraints.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I am just now learning about constraints and allocations and all that. I'm glad I asked here, because I get the impression I would have gone to place my order and all they'd say is "We'll call you when it's ready." If the Premier is on constraint, I would consider going down to an LT, but not really willing to give up the diesel. So it sounds like I'll be waiting either way. Oh well, if it arrives sometime this summer I'll be happy(ish). Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne