What should i do about oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the valve cover last thursday. I'm curious to see how things look after another 3000 miles.
So far I have added an oil catch can, and a driver's side valve cover. Now onto the oil pan. I may tackle that myself instead of taking it to the shop. Time to search the forums for information.
Thank you everyone for all of your help and advice.
Replaced the valve cover last thursday. I'm curious to see how things look after another 3000 miles.
So far I have added an oil catch can, and a driver's side valve cover. Now onto the oil pan. I may tackle that myself instead of taking it to the shop. Time to search the forums for information.
Thank you everyone for all of your help and advice.

Some notes on the oil pan:
You don't have to remove the differential on 4WD/AWD models to get the oil pan off. All you have to do is remove the axle shaft bolts on the passenger side and separate the CV axle from the flange. Then remove the 2 differential mounting bolts on the same side. The differential will hang plenty low enough to wiggle the oil pan out without having to drop the diff completely. You'll also need to remove the steering rack bolts and let it hang down, as well as remove the crossmember. You can drop it all in 30 minutes or less with a good air impact wrench. Add another 15 to get the pan off, and you're golden.

And if you're in that far, put in a new oil pump o-ring. It will be the thicker one on a truck engine. I didn’t do this the first time I did the job and regretted it when I didn’t have great oil pressure afterwards.

Also, use a new oil pan gasket, even though they're supposed to be reusable. Don't forget to put a dab of black RTV on the corners where it meets the front and rear covers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ahunn

Reaction score
Another update....
No more leaks!!! Valve cover is all good. The rear main was leaking pretty bad which I had repaired along with the oil pan.
I did not use the oil cooler gasket as that was not leaking. I am happy and no longer staining everyone's driveways. :happy107:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another update....
No more leaks!!! Valve cover is all good. The rear main was leaking pretty bad which I had repaired along with the oil pan.
I did not use the oil cooler gasket as that was not leaking. I am happy and no longer staining everyone's driveways. :happy107:
Nicely done! Thanks for following up with the solution, too.

justchecking

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ahunn, who did the work for you? I live north of Cincy and would like to have that filed away just in case...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9