What Radiator In OBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neosoul

Reaction score
Not sure yet but I may need a new radiator. What radiator are you guys putting in your obs? I have a 98 2 door tahoe and live in the desert. I figure now would probably be the best time to maybe upgrade my radiator if it would benefit my situation.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of an upgrade are you looking at? I know a guy who put a one ton radiator in with little to no mods

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in the typical aluminum aftermarket version you find on ebay for around $250. However i found the same one on amazon for $134 from Sheppard Auto. I just checked and they are out of stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073MF7L0/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a word on these chinese radiators. They seem to leak at the tank solder joints after a few years. It may be due to electrolysis. I grounded mine this time and added a sacraficial annode hanging from the radiator cap. I used lead.

OP
OP
N

neosoul

Reaction score
I put in the typical aluminum aftermarket version you find on ebay for around $250. However i found the same one on amazon for $134 from Sheppard Auto. I just checked and they are out of stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073MF7L0/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a word on these chinese radiators. They seem to leak at the tank solder joints after a few years. It may be due to electrolysis. I grounded mine this time and added a sacraficial annode hanging from the radiator cap. I used lead.
Phone Man, thanks for posting that link, I will keep this one on my short list. Your tahoe build sounds almost exactly like the direction I want to go in when I build mine. How do you like that HT383 in your 2dr.

Phone Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a nice upgrade and you can feel a power difference. But the engine suffers from piston slap. Its a knocking sound from the piston skirts moving slightly in the transition from coming down the cylinder and going back up. the pistons have short skirts on them to allow clearancd for the extended stroke. Its well documented on this engine and others. I called them on it and got a warrenty number but never had to use it. They knew about it and said there would be no damage to anything because of it. So far so good.

If i had to do it again, i would have one built with better internals and heads for the same money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019