What oil brand & type is GM putting in our 5.3L SUVs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I roughly go by engine hours and mileage. In the dive boat, we changed the oil every 200 hours.

In the truck, 30%-40% on the OLM, 5000 miles, 175 hours. Somewhere in those ranges.

Our 5 year average is 5100 miles, 170 hours and 166 days.
Hey, you forgot to include the standard deviation on the OLM for the last five years. ;)

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does anyone if GM had their own brand oil or AC Delco? Just curious which brand the GM techs are using at the service centers.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also believe Wal mart Super Tech fall in this same line of discussion. I used it in my transfer case and when changing my differentials in other vehicles. Nary a problem and every bit as good as stuff 3x the price. I also use WM DEF Fluid exclusively in my Diesel's for years. Zero issues....
The same analysis (wish I could find the link), rated the Walmart Supertech as equivalent to the Kirkland. When I looked at the individual line items, they were almost identical, close enough I suspect they are the same oil from Warren with just different labels. The Amazon Dexos Synthetic was also highly rated by the analysis company, but was different enough on an element by element basis, it looked like a different manufacturer (or at least a different formulation).

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does anyone if GM had their own brand oil or AC Delco? Just curious which brand the GM techs are using at the service centers.
They use AC Delco oil in quart bottles on Baby Dura maxes. They could use bulk 0w-20 at dealerships that conforms to the actual Dexos spec, but it may or may not be "AC Delco" oil. Usually comes in 250 gal totes...FWIW AC Delco oil is bottled under contract with Mobil 1....

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They use AC Delco oil in quart bottles on Baby Dura maxes. They could use bulk 0w-20 at dealerships that conforms to the actual Dexos spec, but it may or may not be "AC Delco" oil. Usually comes in 250 gal totes...FWIW AC Delco oil is bottled under contract with Mobil 1....

Thanks!

Reddevil96

Reaction score
Ac Delco oil Is Mobil brand oil current is Dexos 2, but Dexos Gen 3 was just released and will be superseding all prior versions as old stock is depleted.

Reaction score
I considered using the search function, however my thought in posting this question was that maybe later generations of the 5.3L likes a different oil?

I'm no stranger to vehicle forums, and the the forum for my last vehicle (RAM truck) had a 4000+ page thread going about engine oil... I'm sure the oil nerds here will chime in...

Anyway, I am just curious what brand and type of oil GM service centers are putting in our late gen 5.3L trucks? I just had my wife's '21 Suburban 5.3 in for the first oil change. The maintenance record they gave me says they put in 8 quarts of 0W-20 which doesn't seem like the right weight? My RAM 5.7 HEMI liked 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), and some guys used 5W-20. Mopar service seems to go with the 5W-30 PUP.

Thanks!
I'm new to GM. My 2021 Tahoe Z71 is my first new one. I've had some late 80's models but nothing requiring stringently spec'd oil. I have been using Amsoil Signature 0w20 from purchase. I've seen side-by-side comparisons between Amsoil and the, "best of the best" oils like Royal Purple and Mobil 1. Amsoil outperforms all of them in every metric. I have also been told by friends that tune their imports that all of the spun bearings they have seen were using Mobil 1. I will link the video that made up my mind:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read all of the oil threads on the major Internet forums, so I am truly an expert on motor oil and engine lubrication. You may ask me any questions you wish, and I will mansplain to you everything I know. In fact, I know enough to actually design oils. For example, I know that if you mix Valvoline and and Mobile 1, You get Mobiline, which is a superior lubricant that gives you the best of both oils' additive packages. :p

To the OP, AC Delco motor oil is sourced from one of the major motor oil manufacturers.

I'm here all week folks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n