What oil brand & type is GM putting in our 5.3L SUVs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered using the search function, however my thought in posting this question was that maybe later generations of the 5.3L likes a different oil?

I'm no stranger to vehicle forums, and the the forum for my last vehicle (RAM truck) had a 4000+ page thread going about engine oil... I'm sure the oil nerds here will chime in...

Anyway, I am just curious what brand and type of oil GM service centers are putting in our late gen 5.3L trucks? I just had my wife's '21 Suburban 5.3 in for the first oil change. The maintenance record they gave me says they put in 8 quarts of 0W-20 which doesn't seem like the right weight? My RAM 5.7 HEMI liked 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), and some guys used 5W-20. Mopar service seems to go with the 5W-30 PUP.

Thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered using the search function, however my thought in posting this question was that maybe later generations of the 5.3L likes a different oil?

I'm no stranger to vehicle forums, and the the forum for my last vehicle (RAM truck) had a 4000+ page thread going about engine oil... I'm sure the oil nerds here will chime in...

Anyway, I am just curious what brand and type of oil GM service centers are putting in our late gen 5.3L trucks? I just had my wife's '21 Suburban 5.3 in for the first oil change. The maintenance record they gave me says they put in 8 quarts of 0W-20 which doesn't seem like the right weight? My RAM 5.7 HEMI liked 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP), and some guys used 5W-20. Mopar service seems to go with the 5W-30 PUP.

Thanks!
Those motors do indeed take 0W-20 and whatever oil you choose must be Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved, with the little logo.

1644985060415.png

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I researched this over on BITOG a few years back when I bought a new GM vehicle, and the consensus was the Dexos spec is so tightly written that brand was irrelevant. So I‘ve since bought by that certification label for GM engines and I don’t discriminate on brand.

I’m familiar with that Ram forum, and the oil topic is beyond belief. There’s all kinds of superstition and witchcraft going on over there.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those motors do indeed take 0W-20 and whatever oil you choose must be Dexos 1 Gen 2 approved, with the little logo.

View attachment 363382

I researched this over on BITOG a few years back when I bought a new GM vehicle, and the consensus was the Dexos spec is so tightly written that brand was irrelevant. So I‘ve since bought by that certification label for GM engines and I don’t discriminate on brand.

I’m familiar with that Ram forum, and the oil topic is beyond belief. There’s all kinds of superstition and witchcraft going on over there.

LOL @Bill 1960! Yes! You know the thread!

So would you guys say Valvoline? Mobil 1? Something else? The 5th Gen Camaro croud mostly went with Mobil 1. I never put Pennzoil in any vehicle until I owned Mopars.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may think this is crazy, but I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to use Costco Kirkland 0w-20. Dexos approved and made on the same line with National brands. I’ve used it as long as it’s been available on other vehicles with no issues.
You can’t touch the price……

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may think this is crazy, but I wouldn’t hesitate a minute to use Costco Kirkland 0w-20. Dexos approved and made on the same line with National brands. I’ve used it as long as it’s been available on other vehicles with no issues.
You can’t touch the price……
I agree. I saw a report done by one of the oil analysis companies on the product Warren Distribution makes for Costco's Kirkland Brand. It is on par with any premium brand available today. I used Valvoline Synthetic and WIX oil filters (actually Napa Gold, but WIX nonetheless) for decades. I now use Kirkland brand synthetic (5W30 for the 2007 5.3L Yukon, 0W20 for the 2021 6.2L Sierra). I still use WIX filters.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also believe Wal mart Super Tech fall in this same line of discussion. I used it in my transfer case and when changing my differentials in other vehicles. Nary a problem and every bit as good as stuff 3x the price. I also use WM DEF Fluid exclusively in my Diesel's for years. Zero issues....

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I use most often a NAPA gold filter, but I’m not against alternatives. I don’t ever buy the cheapest filter in any brand line because they won’t have the better valves and media.

Whatever oil is on sale/ cheaper with the Dexos certification.

Most important thing, IF you’re one of those who wants an engine reliable far past the warranty, is disregard the oil life monitor. Or, alternatively, read it and change it prematurely. Typically on a new vehicle if the OLM is giving around 10k OCI I will change it at 5k or 50%.

I think the OLM is actually a useful tool, because it models the wear on the oil based on time, temperatures, loads, and so forth. So a better tool than just the odometer, because 5k in the city and 5k on the highway are not equivalent.

That said, the goal of the OLM is lower cost of operation till end of warranty and satisfying the environmental constituencies. They’re happy to sell another when the engine wears out.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use most often a NAPA gold filter, but I’m not against alternatives. I don’t ever buy the cheapest filter in any brand line because they won’t have the better valves and media.

Whatever oil is on sale/ cheaper with the Dexos certification.

Most important thing, IF you’re one of those who wants an engine reliable far past the warranty, is disregard the oil life monitor. Or, alternatively, read it and change it prematurely. Typically on a new vehicle if the OLM is giving around 10k OCI I will change it at 5k or 50%.

I think the OLM is actually a useful tool, because it models the wear on the oil based on time, temperatures, loads, and so forth. So a better tool than just the odometer, because 5k in the city and 5k on the highway are not equivalent.

That said, the goal of the OLM is lower cost of operation till end of warranty and satisfying the environmental constituencies. They’re happy to sell another when the engine wears out.

Agree. I'm tracking the OLM to see what the algorithm might be. Many online mechanic videos recommend 5k miles for the oil and filter change. E.g. Car Care Nut and others. I got a Black Stone kit and plan to send in a sample at 5k miles to see what they say. It might be a few months because I just changed the oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts