What models have AWD ? Tahoe / Yukon / Escalade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So our '11 Denali is totaled. We gave it up today. Looking for another one for the family. One of the things I like for my wife is the All Wheel Drive. I am wondering what models and/or trim packages come with AWD - or does it depend on whether it was an option added. I will be looking for a new (to us) one and I think I'd like to stick to this range of '07-'14 and would like AWD. Do I need to stick with a Denali or Escalade? or do Tahoes have AWD. Or do I just have to ask every time I want to look at one to see what it has? Thanks for the help!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well "typically" in the gmt900 range the denali can have 2wd, or awd, not sure if the escalade came in a 2wd or not.
also not sure if any other trim in the gmc's came with awd I think it could be a possibility but might be a rare bird, based on memory of "I think someone posted one once or I saw one on CL"
either way if you are shopping online be sure to look at the photo's to verify because half the dealers can't tell the difference between there @ss and a hole in the ground

@swathdiver probably has a more definitive answer

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frankly, speaking as an owner of both - an AWD Denali and a standard 4x4 Suburban, I find myself preferring the Suburban in the snow. The electronics/brakes of the stability/traction control in the Denali aren't aggressive enough to compensate for the extra differential in the driveline.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2007 to 14 models only came in AWD in the escalade or denali trim line. Tahoes and base yukons had selectable 4wd with an auto function. But as @Doubeleive stated, 2wd was an option for some years in both models i believe. Make sure to check the caefax or simil to make sure the VIN states AWD. I've see too many that look like a good deal, only to find in the small print or carfax that it's 2wd.

I think the only years that saw some sort of AWD in the tahoes and base yukons was the 2000-06 generation.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2007 to 14 models only came in AWD in the escalade or denali trim line. Tahoes and base yukons had selectable 4wd with an auto function. But as @Doubeleive stated, 2wd was an option for some years in both models i believe. Make sure to check the caefax or simil to make sure the VIN states AWD. I've see too many that look like a good deal, only to find in the small print or carfax that it's 2wd.

I think the only years that saw some sort of AWD in the tahoes and base yukons was the 2000-06 generation.
Either I read that wrong or that is incorrect, the gmt900 denali's did come with a 2wd or awd I know this for a fact because I test drove some while shopping for my 2012 denali
4x2.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So our '11 Denali is totaled. We gave it up today. Looking for another one for the family. One of the things I like for my wife is the All Wheel Drive. I am wondering what models and/or trim packages come with AWD - or does it depend on whether it was an option added. I will be looking for a new (to us) one and I think I'd like to stick to this range of '07-'14 and would like AWD. Do I need to stick with a Denali or Escalade? or do Tahoes have AWD. Or do I just have to ask every time I want to look at one to see what it has? Thanks for the help!
Was everyone ok in the crash? If in your budget, look for a 2012-2014 with the improved navigation unit and cruise control features. They also have Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control. If you do any towing, that's nice to have with the trailer brake controller built in.

All of the 2007 Yukon Denalis were AWD. RWD models were introduced from 2008 to the end. Only the Yukon Denali and Yukon XL Denali and Escalade and Escalade ESV models had the AWD option in the wagons. The Sierra Denalis were also AWD or RWD.

You can't really tell by looking at them which drive system they have. You can however tell by the VIN. When searching the automotive search engines, they do a pretty good job of sorting them out but dealers have been known to make mistakes and not classify a car right.

For an AWD Cadillac, the VIN will start with 1GYS4.

For an AWD Yukon Denali or Yukon XL Denali, the VIN will start with 1GKS2.

This is for 2011-2014 models.

If you are looking at Escalades, remember that they have 5 trim levels. I like the Platinum or Platinum Sport with the Tehama Leather seats and the sport models have dual exhausts and ditches the spare tire.

OP
OP
J

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow - thank you so much for the info ! I'll be keeping my eyes out.

My wife, my 5 year old daughter, my 28 year old niece, and our dog was there when they were hit in the back. They are OK. My wife got a bruise on her arm and a little sore. Minivan came from behind fast and hard. :(
Thanks again, I will keep my eyes open for a new one for us!!!@

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they had auto 4wd and all wheel drive for different models.

anyone know the difference? sadly I don't even know which I have haha. it will never get used either way, I wish it was 2wd. it just says auto, 4hi 4lo and said the t case can be shifted into neutral for towing behind an rv. does that mean I have 4wd or awd? I always thought that was 4wd. it's a Denali but also weird haha.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you have 2WD (RWD), AWD, 4WD Hi, AND 4WD Lo.

2UP or 2Hi: Rear Wheel Drive.
I wish it was 2wd.
Leave it in this mode, unless another mode is necessary.

AUTO: AWD is not really ALL Wheel Drive (as in Subaru / Porsche ALL Wheel Drive).
AFTER detecting that the rear wheels need help, THEN the fronts join in.
Once the front wheels determine they are no longer needed, they go back to standby.
(Costs an MpG more than 2WD-RWD.)

4UP or 4Hi: 4Hi is what Subaru / Porsche think AWD is: power is always being sent to all 4 wheels.
If grip is good enough for 2WD-RWD, unnecessarily using 4Hi wears out the front differential more quickly.

4DOWN or 4Lo: 4Lo is 4Hi multiplied by 2.72 (I think). Owner's manual says you may never need 4L0; I believe it.
This mode should only be used in snow, mud, sand, etc, when even 4Hi is not enough.
If grip is good enough for 2WD-RWD, unnecessarily using 4Lo wears out the front differential 2.72 times quicker than unnecessarily using 4Hi.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize they had auto 4wd and all wheel drive for different models.

anyone know the difference? sadly I don't even know which I have haha. it will never get used either way, I wish it was 2wd. it just says auto, 4hi 4lo and said the t case can be shifted into neutral for towing behind an rv. does that mean I have 4wd or awd? I always thought that was 4wd. it's a Denali but also weird haha.

AWD means all 4 wheels are getting power all the time. With the GMT900 trucks, AWD units do not have a switch for the transfer case. I have a small, useless hole in the dash of my Denali where the transfer case switch is located in 4WD trucks. AWD trucks have a third differential, to allow for tight turns without tire scrub.

4WD means part-time/selectable power to the front wheels. When engaged, you don't want to go faster that 65, nor do you want to be driving on dry pavement. If you try to make a tight turn while in 4WD, you'll feel the powertrain start to bind and the tires will scrub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17

Latest posts