What is this noise/clunk in my drivetrain? Slip Yoke?

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by mattbta, Sep 20, 2018.

1. mattbta

mattbta Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    This noise started about a year ago, usually only noticeable on large dips at highway speed. Over time it has grown louder and more prominent with increasing occurrence. Now I get the noise over surface streets at 30-40MPH when there are big cracks or dips. It is easily reproducible on speed bumps, which I've provided some footage below. I can also feel the clunk below me/from the rear.

Initially, I feared the worst -- possibly pinion bearing. I was finally able to use my daughter's GoPro and a magnetic mount and it seems to be from the slip yoke. There is no movement in the rear where the driveshaft meets nor any movement in u-joints. I will be changing the u-joints anyway. Should I invest in that nickel plated slip yoke?

Hopefully packing some grease in there while the DS is out will help for now. What grease is recommended? I've seen some folks use some red from Lucas and others use the GM stuff.

Watch the video and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

2. Erickk120

Erickk120 Member

Name:
    Eric
    Yeah definitely looks like its banging inside there, Never thought it could get that loud! I would inspect it and see what it looks like, sounds like metal on metal and dry to me. I would try greasing it and see if that helps, if its still there I would be looking into a junkyard, or new slip yoke. That thing sounds rough as it is.

Almost forgot awesome camerawork!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    swathdiver likes this.
  3. ScottyBoy

ScottyBoy Full Access Member

Name:
    Scott
    Good Lord that damn drive shaft has a lot of play in it! I honestly can't say for sure if it's the pinion bearings or not, because my pinion bearings went bad and it sounded nearly identical. But if I were you, I would go ahead and replace the U-joints, and grease the hell out of the slip yoke first. U-joints are CHEAP compared to a having pinion bearing replaced. I lube my slip yoke with the Lucas "Red and Tacky" grease. I literally gob a big pile of it all into the splines and work it all around with my finger. Basically have all the splines gobbed up with grease. If you do that, and replace all the U-joints, and it's STILL making that dreadful nouse, then it's highly likely that the pinion bearing is bad. Just hope that's not the case.

swathdiver likes this.
  4. mattbta

mattbta Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Will replace the u-joints (they've been sitting on my tool box for a couple months now) and grease the yoke. Hopefully that takes care of it, but it sure does seem like the play is excessive. Thanks for the replies.

Anyone else?

5. Erickk120

Erickk120 Member

Name:
    Eric
    there is suppose to be play there, from when you go over bumps or objects/flex. Make sure you check if there is play in the differential yoke in and out, that would be more of a concern aside from the banging in the front.

6. bigb805

bigb805 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Brian
    After a 1700 mile road trip my Hoe developed a similar clunk in the rear end that only seems to happen occasionally from a slow take off/ start. I would prefer to just add some grease first before throwing money at a new slip yolk but I have seen multiple people state that greasing the slip yolk will contaminate the ATF and might mess up the tranny...anyone know if that IS the case?