What is the best kind of speaker to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhacker5150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the Focal 165A1 SG's (component) in my front doors & the Focal 130CA1 SG's in the rear doors. Each speaker is driven off one of the 4 main channels of a JL XD700/5 amplifier. All doors have a layer of Hushmat covering 90% of their surface areas. While the Focal's are "crisp," they are also lacking in the lower frequencies (a subwoofer is a must if you go this route). Also, having the tweeter so far from the woofer (6.75") can give a "harsh" coloring to the higher frequencies ... especially considering that the tweeters are pointed at the glass (I installed them in the factory tweeter location). The Focal crossovers included with the speakers do have a 0, -3, -6dB switch that will reduce the tweeters by said decibel level -- which definitely helps in being able to reduce the harsh coloring.

Audio is subjective ... the best thing I can offer is go with what sounds good.

Cheers.

chevylover714

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Best set of speakers ive owned are the focal access components sound awesome if you dont want to spend the money hertz components are good too or alpine type r components Infiniti kappas are good too but the tweeters are too loud and hurt your ears rockford Fosgate T2 or T3 are pretty good best amp to push em will be JL Audio 450/4 or rockford fosgate p400/4 or p1000/4 or p600/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This sums it up perfectly.

Exactly. No such thing as the best speaker. OP didn't give enough info. Type of music. Sound level. Amplified. Budget. Etc.

Some people say the $10,000 Rainbow 6.5 are the best. Anything is better than stock.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Polk DXi651

I put a pair of Polk DXi651's in the front of my 'Hoe, and they sound pretty damn good. I'm about to add an amp too, which should help more, but with an ok Head Unit and the factory amp bypassed, they are still pretty nice, and didn't cost much.

Fit perfectly, just had to drill some holes, but all in all only took an hour or so to get them in.

Like people said, it's all preference, but just my $0.02

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want high end definitely go with Focal. Shit blows all the mainstream name brands out of the water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warock56

Latest posts