What else should be done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a set of long tubes going on in the next couple weeks followed by a BB street tune. While the stock manifolds are off I’ve got a few other things I’m doing.

On the list:
-Long tubes and catless Y
-o2 sensors (4)
-Spark plugs/wires
-motor mounts
-trash can muffler to quiet this thing down...

Am I missing anything? It’s a 6.2 with 160k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I’ve got a set of long tubes going on in the next couple weeks followed by a BB street tune. While the stock manifolds are off I’ve got a few other things I’m doing.

On the list:
-o2 sensors (4)
-Spark plugs/wires
-motor mounts

Save the money on buying new downstream sensors.... with catless Y-pipe you will be tuning the downstream O2 sensors out anyway... no need to install new ones just so they can be non-functional.

You can either reinstall the old O2 sensors in the down stream location or you can install plugs in the down stream ports... if the catless Y-pipe even has downstream bungs welded in... which I doubt.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert

On the list:
-o2 sensors (4)
-Spark plugs/wires
-motor mounts

research the whole spark plug wire scam and stick with OE wires, with the long tube headers, BB tune and catless Y you will be making music to your ears when you "romp on it" Id advise buying an extended engine warranty for the inevitable.

OP
OP
Tide

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save the money on buying new downstream sensors.... with catless Y-pipe you will be tuning the downstream O2 sensors out anyway... no need to install new ones just so they can be non-functional.

You can either reinstall the old O2 sensors in the down stream location or you can install plugs in the down stream ports... if the catless Y-pipe even has downstream bungs welded in... which I doubt.

I do have the downstream bungs. Read about several guys stripping the old ones on removal so I went ahead and bought some. Just have to wait and see on that one.

research the whole spark plug wire scam and stick with OE wires, with the long tube headers, BB tune and catless Y you will be making music to your ears when you "romp on it" Id advise buying an extended engine warranty for the inevitable.

I’m more so worried about heat that anything. I don’t want to deal with burning wires every few months. Picked up some insulated ones that rocket man is running so I should be set there.

I’m going to love the music. Just not sure my neighbors will think the same..

Waiting on them to get back from powder and it’s go time.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the downstream bungs. Read about several guys stripping the old ones on removal so I went ahead and bought some. Just have to wait and see on that one.

Your catless Y-pipe has downstream bungs? That's odd but maybe it's a convenience or appearance thing. If the old O2 sensors will screw in, then use them as plugs. Otherwise, get blank screw-in plugs of whatever the thread size is. As Ken said, there's no reason to buy new downstream O2 sensors since they will be tuned out anyway for the catless Y-pipe. They will be nothing more than expensive plugs.

OP
OP
Tide

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your catless Y-pipe has downstream bungs? That's odd but maybe it's a convenience or appearance thing. If the old O2 sensors will screw in, then use them as plugs. Otherwise, get blank screw-in plugs of whatever the thread size is. As Ken said, there's no reason to buy new downstream O2 sensors since they will be tuned out anyway for the catless Y-pipe. They will be nothing more than expensive plugs.

Clicky

Found some o2 plugs for $3 a pop. Will I need any of the o2 sensors at all? Returning all 4 save me a decent amount of cash.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clicky

Found some o2 plugs for $3 a pop. Will I need any of the o2 sensors at all? Returning all 4 save me a decent amount of cash.

You HAVE to have the upstream O2 sensors as they tell the computer how the engine is running. The downstream ones are there ONLY to monitor the catalytic converters, which you will not have so those sensors are not needed.

Just return the rear ones. You won't be saving as much as returning all of them, but at least you won't be wasting a bunch of cash, either. Even if your original sensors seemed to be working 'okay', it's good that they're a fresh set of quality sensors to ensure your new tune and all will be as dialed-in a possible.

Do you have new exhaust gaskets with your headers? The factory MLS design is about as good as you can get. Other than that, everything on your list looks good. Getting solid or hydraulic mounts?

OP
OP
Tide

Tide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You HAVE to have the upstream O2 sensors as they tell the computer how the engine is running. The downstream ones are there ONLY to monitor the catalytic converters, which you will not have so those sensors are not needed.

Just return the rear ones. You won't be saving as much as returning all of them, but at least you won't be wasting a bunch of cash, either. Even if your original sensors seemed to be working 'okay', it's good that they're a fresh set of quality sensors to ensure your new tune and all will be as dialed-in a possible.

Do you have new exhaust gaskets with your headers? The factory MLS design is about as good as you can get. Other than that, everything on your list looks good. Getting solid or hydraulic mounts?

Thanks for the help.

Going with factory gaskets and H3 mounts. Thought about going with Atomic’s mounts but that’s overkill for me. Richard has already cost me enough money.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

Going with factory gaskets and H3 mounts. Thought about going with Atomic’s mounts but that’s overkill for me. Richard has already cost me enough money.

Wise decisions. Carry on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick