What do I need to know before removing a complete rear axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
It looked like all the mounts were the same, so I went ahead and pulled it. Out was fairly easy and straight forward. I'll hire someone in SoCal to put it on as I have a cross country trip coming up in a couple of months, and don't want potential issues to crop up while I have my family on a trip.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
New update, for the sake of anyone else that might have these same issues. My truck is at the mechanics shop. The 2003 Yukon XL 1500's complete rear axle assembly will fit a 2007 Yukon XL 1500. The gearing and traction control were both the same, so I'm expecting no issues there. HOWEVER!!! The 2003's axle assembly only has 1 sensor connection on each side while the 2007 has 2 sensors on each side. The mechanic assured me it can still be switched, but the disconnected sensors will cause some lights to stay lit on the dash. Any ideas/fixes for people that might have to worry about Smog Testing?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
New update, for the sake of anyone else that might have these same issues. My truck is at the mechanics shop. The 2003 Yukon XL 1500's complete rear axle assembly will fit a 2007 Yukon XL 1500. The gearing and traction control were both the same, so I'm expecting no issues there. HOWEVER!!! The 2003's axle assembly only has 1 sensor connection on each side while the 2007 has 2 sensors on each side. The mechanic assured me it can still be switched, but the disconnected sensors will cause some lights to stay lit on the dash. Any ideas/fixes for people that might have to worry about Smog Testing?

What's the extra plug for?

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
Prob stabilitrac? There is abs sensor/traction control.

Correct, as always it seems. The ABS and Stabilitrac lights are on. Since these are safety features instead of emissions features, will this cause it to fail a Smog Check?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper