What do I need to know before removing a complete rear axle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warriormagee

Reaction score
First I would like to thank everyone that helped me figure out my rear end was toast. I am now ready to go pull a used rear axle assembly from a junk yard, but didn't see a How To write up or some such thread on this site. I will have to drive a couple of hours away, to the nearest Pick A Part, so I come to you all once again, so that I don't waste hours driving back and forth for tools I should have had.

I plan on taking an assortment of wrenches and sockets (none are deep well), jack, hammer, C-Clamp (for brake calipers), lug wrench, assortment of screw drivers, small pry bar, WD-40, knife, wire cutters.

Are there any specialty tools I need to have?

I couldn't find a video removing the rear assembly from my Yukon, but did find one for a Jeep. I expect things will basically be the same, as in order of things I should be removing: wheels, brakes and calipers, shocks, drive shaft, e-brake wires, U-Bolts.

Is there something I'm missing/need to know about/tips or tricks to remove?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would take the entire rear with brakes and wheels on it (so you could roll it with out carrying it, then give guy back the rims so you aren’t paying for them). cut brake lines, only on driverside frame, e brake cable too and even cut u bolts as you may have a hell of a time loosening them up, remove bolts nuts for everything else...shocks and whatnot and then go ....Imo

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
I would take the entire rear with brakes and wheels on it (so you could roll it with out carrying it, then give guy back the rims so you aren’t paying for them). cut brake lines, only on driverside frame, e brake cable too and even cut u bolts as you may have a hell of a time loosening them up, remove bolts nuts for everything else...shocks and whatnot and then go ....Imo
Leaving the wheels on is a good idea I never thought of. I didn't think to cut the lines either, i was going to unbolt them all.

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
It was mentioned in my other thread that any 2000-2014 suburban/yukon rear axle assembly can be used as a replacement. Can the rear axle assembly from the same years silverado/sierra/tahoe also work?

OP
OP
W

warriormagee

Reaction score
I found an 03 Yukon XL, with the same gearing and traction control...will it fit my 07 Yukon XL?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper