What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to use my map gas--bought a brand new tank--and the brass nozzle was no good. I couldn't get it to stay lit. FML. That should've been my clue right there. I also had my special o2 sockets out. Didn't work either.
Tips on getting old O2 sensors out...

Heat is your friend, if you have a torch. Soaking with a good penetrant, like Kroil, will also help a lot. I used old-fashioned Liquid Wrench and tapped the bung and sensor a little to try breaking the rust bond before I started wrenching...

Since the old sensor is already getting replaced... No fancy O2 sensor sockets required. Cut the wire. Get a good, proper fitting box wrench on there with a piece of pipe on there for leverage. I didn't have a pipe, so I prayed and gave the wrench a few love taps with a 3 lb. mallet. It broke loose. I use an open end wrench to tighten the new one (just the wrench...no pipe leverage/breaker bar) to "good-n-tight" or "tight enough" torque specifications.

New sensors come with anti-seize in the box, to make it easy for the next guy.

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to use my map gas--bought a brand new tank--and the brass nozzle was no good. I couldn't get it to stay lit. FML. That should've been my clue right there. I also had my special o2 sockets out. Didn't work either.
Those O2 sensors sure don't like you, do they Tony. Maybe a few penetrating oil/drive/cool cycles will help in loosening it up.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Tips on getting old O2 sensors out...

Heat is your friend, if you have a torch. Soaking with a good penetrant, like Kroil, will also help a lot. I used old-fashioned Liquid Wrench and tapped the bung and sensor a little to try breaking the rust bond before I started wrenching...

Since the old sensor is already getting replaced... No fancy O2 sensor sockets required. Cut the wire. Get a good, proper fitting box wrench on there with a piece of pipe on there for leverage. I didn't have a pipe, so I prayed and gave the wrench a few love taps with a 3 lb. mallet. It broke loose. I use an open end wrench to tighten the new one (just the wrench...no pipe leverage/breaker bar) to "good-n-tight" or "tight enough" torque specifications.

New sensors come with anti-seize in the box, to make it easy for the next guy.
I tried an air hammer a few times, soaked it a few times too. Trying to get it off with a socket it started to look like the bung(metal)was bending some, so that's where I just left it alone. There's also not a good angle to attack it either. So awkward. BTW--It's in the collector on a long tube header.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried an air hammer a few times, soaked it a few times too. Trying to get it off with a socket it started to look like the bung(metal)was bending some, so that's where I just left it alone. There's also not a good angle to attack it either. So awkward. BTW--It's in the collector on a long tube header.
Understand completely. It is not unusual for even the pros in a shop to cut out the old sensor and weld in new bungs. Maybe it will break free before you get to that extreme... Fingers crossed!

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony....... PATIENTS ..... then take a sit on a stool..... respond to a silly forum post......

Then try again......

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They hate me and the feelings are mutual!
I don't remember what the stuff was, but my brother brought home from a Navy yard machine shop, a spray can of something that really loosened up a stuck bolt/ sensor.

You might try a West Marine store,,, they have some products , auto stores don't sell.

Walchit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super cheap. Have you heard it running? Can you confirm the mileage? Maybe try to run a carfax with the vin number
I figured it probably has 300k and he's lying to me also. He takes forever to respond and it's hasn't been with a phone number or address yet so I'm not too optimistic. There is another guy with the same combo from a truck with a rusted out frame about an hour from me.

I might try this guys trick to put a red o-ring and maybe a new pump in, but I'm afraid I already drove too far on it. I really just want to know what the problem was at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz