What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parked mine today. Got a "Check oil Level" message on my instrument cluster. Checked my dipstick and the oil level was only a half quart low. Topped it off and the light is still on. I also noticed upon acceleration, I'm hear a very slight "diesel engine" type of pinging. Sounds similar to the Piston Slap that these engine get when they are cold. So I got spooked thing it's starved for oil, and I parked it till I can investigate further.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought these for nothing.View attachment 352895
The center of the hub separated, but the hub end piece is stuck. Not even budging. Beat it with a mini sledge--no dice. View attachment 352897View attachment 352898View attachment 352899
View attachment 352897
Axle is out.View attachment 352896
Would heat help to get the back end off the spindle? Any suggestions or ideas to get it off?
With the 3 backing bolts out, see if you can use a sledge/hammer and a drift punch, and get the 3 ears on the hub front to rotate left or right, the rest will destroy the backing bolts (unless you have a junk drawer with the same 3 bolts with the same threads), but feed them in from the front side, and useing the back plate as the fulcrum, start wrenching down the 3 bolts evenly. It will start pushing the hub out.

Now you have the hub out, but need those 3 bolts (Unless you had something in your junk drawer)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parked mine today. Got a "Check oil Level" message on my instrument cluster. Checked my dipstick and the oil level was only a half quart low. Topped it off and the light is still on. I also noticed upon acceleration, I'm hear a very slight "diesel engine" type of pinging. Sounds similar to the Piston Slap that these engine get when they are cold. So I got spooked thing it's starved for oil, and I parked it till I can investigate further.
How’s the pressure?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
With the 3 backing bolts out, see if you can use a sledge/hammer and a drift punch, and get the 3 ears on the hub front to rotate left or right, the rest will destroy the backing bolts (unless you have a junk drawer with the same 3 bolts with the same threads), but feed them in from the front side, and useing the back plate as the fulcrum, start wrenching down the 3 bolts evenly. It will start pushing the hub out.

Now you have the hub out, but need those 3 bolts (Unless you had something in your junk drawer)
I can't picture the ears you're talking about. I got the 3 bolts out with no problem. I'm leaving it alone til tomorrow. Going to HF to get an air chisel. I've already beat the snot out of that rear hub plate. I even used a seawall to try to get between the spindle and plate. Nothing yet.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't picture the ears you're talking about. I got the 3 bolts out with no problem. I'm leaving it alone til tomorrow. Going to HF to get an air chisel. I've already beat the snot out of that rear hub plate. I even used a seawall to try to get between the spindle and plate. Nothing yet.
If you haven't already soaked it in PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench already, do that before hitting it with the air chisel.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

And soak it again.

Just making sure the three bolts you're saying you removed are the ones I've circled in red on the pic. After those are out from the back, I think what @TollKeeper was saying was to bang away sideways on the three ears that the bolts came through, hitting all three ears both ways, trying to rotate it.

Tony's hub.jpg

If the bolts are sturdy enough, you could screw one in from the front and see if you could use a long prybar, pinned between the screw and the hub. Put some leverage on it to rotate it. I've never done one so I'm probably not all that helpful.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't do anything to my GMT800 today. Mainly because I no longer have one. But I did see what looked like a very well kept pre-2006 Z71 Tahoe. Considered just waiting for the owner to come out and make an offer but decided against it. I regret it now.

If it were a GMT400 4WD two door I'd still be there waiting if necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abruck