What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
If anyone recalls my roof leak near the rear/pass vents... It's back. Sigh

Need to find a better way to plug off the holes from roof rack removal. I had some butyl rubber around there for a while and it held up until we saw a couple freeze/that cycles. If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.

20200203_014450.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Need to find a better way to plug off the holes from roof rack removal. I had some butyl rubber around there for a while and it held up until we saw a couple freeze/that cycles. If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.

View attachment 239887

Sooo... Apparently even the roof rack holes in the NBS aren't blind. Or maybe it's leaking where the nutsert meets the sheet metal?

What do you have now, removed rack and put screws back in with some butyl under them or something else?

I just put a layer of RTV under the heads of mine then screwed them back in. We don't get many freezes here and it's only been a few months, though. For my final stage of that project, I plan to use hex socket head set screws with thread sealant, screw them down so they're recessed about an 1/8" then cover them with windshield adhesive. For good measure, I'll smear a layer of the windshield adhesive around the edge of the flange of the nutsert where it meets the sheet metal. Then I'll cover the whole line of mounting holes on each side with low-profile body-colored molding. That'd be like four waterproof barriers, which is 2-3 times the factory amount.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welde

View attachment 239887
Welder.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Sooo... Apparently even the roof rack holes in the NBS aren't blind. Or maybe it's leaking where the nutsert meets the sheet metal?

What do you have now, removed rack and put screws back in with some butyl under them or something else?

I just put a layer of RTV under the heads of mine then screwed them back in. We don't get many freezes here and it's only been a few months, though. For my final stage of that project, I plan to use hex socket head set screws with thread sealant, screw them down so they're recessed about an 1/8" then cover them with windshield adhesive. For good measure, I'll smear a layer of the windshield adhesive around the edge of the flange of the nutsert where it meets the sheet metal. Then I'll cover the whole line of mounting holes on each side with low-profile body-colored molding. That'd be like four waterproof barriers, which is 2-3 times the factory amount.
Took my rack off and I just put the bolts back in the holes without any sealant. No leaks.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 239887
Stainless set screws recessed in a little bit, Teflon tape, little bit of rtv for redundancy. No leaks for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo