What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not. I live in a very... Temperature diverse climate. -15 in the winter, 110+ in the summer.

If I could find a thermostat for the temperature I want I'd bypass the radiator and use that. They're either 160 or 180 degrees. I want one at 120 degrees. Until that point, I need the temp stability provided by the warmer :p

Interesting. I've certainly never heard of 120 degree thermostats...

I'm sort of confused as to why you would want one. That would slow the vehicles warm up time considerably.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Interesting. I've certainly never heard of 120 degree thermostats...

I'm sort of confused as to why you would want one. That would slow the vehicles warm up time considerably.
Noooo I mean transmission thermostat

You asked if I kept the factory radiator passthrough. I said yes as without it, then the trans would be running far too cold for my liking in the winter months. The radiator passthrough will usually act as a transmission warmer unless you get it REAL HOT.

120 degrees for the transmission thermostat. It'll cycle fluid back into the trans below that temp, and above; direct fluid through the cooler. Same function as the coolant tstat, but this is with oil, and for the transmission

https://derale.com/products/fluid-c...sher-pullerfan-with-standard-mount-kit-detail

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oic the trans cooler thermal bypass? Thought the tru cool came with one.

OIC it is 180* how odd that it is so high. I could see wanting one with a lower temp.

160* isnt bad. I'd run that. I intend to bypass my radiator bc my trans temps are still higher then id like in the summer... and Id like to eliminate a potential failure point. I have a "30k" cooler IIRC although dimensionally it should be atleast as big as the trucool 40k... 13x13x1.5
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMucWxCWPZYvo0A11nGfl15LbuYXKZWAofDMdY

Last edited:

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Trucool offers 2 kits

With, and without the thermostat. I opted for the one without. My decision to run sans-thermostat, with the factory radiator passthrough came from chatting with a couple transmission builders about temps and lifespan and deciding that 160 was too high for these fragile things given the lifespan I'm looking to achieve.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucool offers 2 kits

With, and without the thermostat. I opted for the one without. My decision to run sans-thermostat, with the factory radiator passthrough came from chatting with a couple transmission builders about temps and lifespan and deciding that 160 was too high for these fragile things given the lifespan I'm looking to achieve.
My 4l60e made it 200k miles without being rebuilt. Just regular fluid/filter changes. Was still fine when it was rebuilt.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4l65e lasted to 303XXX.

Blew the 1-2 servo out of the case and took pieces of the tranny casing with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC