What are all the noises our trucks make?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BluBrett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know it's a random question, but I'm curious. Every Tahoe I've ever heard makes these noises upon startup/at low speeds, until the sound of the V8 drones them out:

-The sound of the beastly V8
-a low pitched "whine" type sound, sort of a diesels sound
-an "ERRRRRRRRRR" sound that sort of sounds like a loose heat shield but it's a universal Tahoe noise

I've heard some aftermarket exhausts that make the 5.3 liter Vortec sound beautiful, but these noises make the Tahoe sound really... Cheap? My Acura starts up and I hear the engine noise, and that's it. What makes so much noise in the Tahoe's engine bay?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that errrrr sound is prob auto ride doing its auto leveling

not sure which low pitched sound u mean, maybe the belt driven fan?

OP
OP
B

BluBrett

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does a 2000 Tahoe LT have auto ride?

The other noise sounds like a very loud, very powerful fan. It overpowers the engine note at idle and for the first 1200 RPM or so. kind of like the fan noise big dump trucks make.

03YukonNH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does a 2000 Tahoe LT have auto ride?

The other noise sounds like a very loud, very powerful fan. It overpowers the engine note at idle and for the first 1200 RPM or so. kind of like the fan noise big dump trucks make.

Sounds like you have an aftermarket fan clutch. Convert to Efans!

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fan clutch may be seized. The clutch will engage the fan at high speed upon startup if it's really hot out or you've been towing, but it shouldn't be locked on all the time. This happened to our 03 explorer when we still owned it - sapped a ton of power from the motor because the fan was going full-bore ******* all the time. Got the fan clutch replaced and it was like driving a new vehicle...as much as driving a gutless V6 ford can feel like a new vehicle. ::D:

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get an electric fan from a newer model, there are many posts and even a how-to around here. I like to keep my vehicles stock, but this is one mode I would do, and you can use OEM parts, you will just have to get a tune or the dealer tech to change something in the ECU to run the fan, as far as I know any way.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I know it's a random question, but I'm curious. Every Tahoe I've ever heard makes these noises upon startup/at low speeds, until the sound of the V8 drones them out:

-The sound of the beastly V8
-a low pitched "whine" type sound, sort of a diesels sound
-an "ERRRRRRRRRR" sound that sort of sounds like a loose heat shield but it's a universal Tahoe noise

I've heard some aftermarket exhausts that make the 5.3 liter Vortec sound beautiful, but these noises make the Tahoe sound really... Cheap? My Acura starts up and I hear the engine noise, and that's it. What makes so much noise in the Tahoe's engine bay?

For me most of the noises come From the drivers seat when i go F YEa when it floored and sometimes the passerger seat goes OH SHIZZ who ever is sitting in it at the time. other than that, i really dont notice.....lol

lyukonr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My yukon makes that "EEERRRR" noise from time to time, but Im pretty sure its a heatshield on my silencer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts