What’s this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the cord run to a plate under the oil pan? My 99 Tahoe was from Canada and was equipped with an oil pan heater. It keeps the oil in a viscus state which lets it be pumped or circulated in a cold engine. Starting a cold engine will seize before the oil gets warm enough to pump or circulate. Hope that helps. Aloha!!

OP
OP
Hoesgottaeat2

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does vehicle have block heater?

Likely the engine block heater.

^^^^X3^^^^

Engine block heater.

Does the cord run to a plate under the oil pan? My 99 Tahoe was from Canada and was equipped with an oil pan heater. It keeps the oil in a viscus state which lets it be pumped or circulated in a cold engine. Starting a cold engine will seize before the oil gets warm enough to pump or circulate. Hope that helps. Aloha!!

block heater

Yep, it's an engine heater. Follow to other end and see where it stops. I have seen them on the bottom of the oil pan and in place of a freeze/welch plug. Saw them a bunch in KC, Mo.
My first thoughts were block heater. But I questioned it since it's not a diesel engine. I thought only the diesels had those. Sounds pretty unanimous from all of you who chimed in. I discovered it during a quick repair under the hood yesterday and figured I'd throw it out to you guys and see what you have to say. I'll chase down the other end of the cord sometime and confirm it. Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n