Went from stoked to kinda bummed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swat2380

Reaction score
07 Denali is due for a driver side hub/bearing. No biggie I jump on RockAuto and order the Timken SP500301 like before and to my surprise it showed to in Oregon in under 24 hours ground freight!!! Oh and bonus I forgot about the $35 credit I had with them from like a year ago. Anyway I crack the box open and these look like reboxed something made in Korea now? I know stuff gets outsourced or factories move but this looks like rebranding to me unless you guys know something I don't????
IMG_20200416_132911041.jpg IMG_20200416_132513863.jpg IMG_20200416_132656547.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timken does have a bearing manufacturing facility in South Korea. From what I read, though I cannot personally say as fact, Timken sources a very significant part of their world bearing manufacturing out of Korea.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is an actual bearing manufacturer in korea called ilijin. supposedly if you go to an authorized timken dealer they will hand you the same thing. found NUMEROUS complaints when people noticed the stamp vs the box. also found another where someone actually managed to get ahold of someone at timken and they were instructed to return it. not sure if above is correct or the response from timken is correct. either way its relating to your specific specific bearing part number. i ordered timkens for my 97 not too long ago but i dont recall what mine were stamped with im curious now. did not find any negative reviews on the ilijin stamped bearing except for those complaining when they bought a timken they got an ilijin instead.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every aspect of our society has been infiltrated with knockoff cheap "look alike" parts! Bring it all back home! why havent the BMW, porsche, mercedes, ferarri suffered the same fate?
they are apparently only counterfeiting cheaper parts because they are easier to mass produce the counterfeit. not really going to counterfeit a bmw water pump that already costs a ridiculous amount. ngk and denso are also being counterfeited. also again above mentioned brands with thier over complicated parts already make them difficult to produce.

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
Every aspect of our society has been infiltrated with knockoff cheap "look alike" parts! Bring it all back home! why havent the BMW, porsche, mercedes, ferarri suffered the same fate?

As an owner of one of these types of cars, this is actually a problem especially if you are like me and work on them yourself vs dealer for everything. My good friend who has a Porsche tuning business is a master mechanic/restorer is having the same problem. You will have things stamped from Germany but they come from China. Bolts and studs that are supposed to be hardened steel end up being crap.. persistent problem across the industry

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Denali is due for a driver side hub/bearing. No biggie I jump on RockAuto and order the Timken SP500301 like before and to my surprise it showed to in Oregon in under 24 hours ground freight!!! Oh and bonus I forgot about the $35 credit I had with them from like a year ago. Anyway I crack the box open and these look like reboxed something made in Korea now? I know stuff gets outsourced or factories move but this looks like rebranding to me unless you guys know something I don't????
View attachment 244839 View attachment 244840 View attachment 244841

My only concern would be the quality of the actual sensor, not the hub itself. If everything works when you're done and no lights on the dash, call it good for another 100K.

OP
OP
S

swat2380

Reaction score
My only concern would be the quality of the actual sensor, not the hub itself. If everything works when you're done and no lights on the dash, call it good for another 100K.
My thoughts as well. The cable coming out of the sensor has some strain and I don't like the angle. They cut some strain relief slots into the cable molding itself which isn't doing much imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076