Weird Power Running Board Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2014 Yukon Denali. My battery was starting to give up and had the typical low voltage electrical gremlins when the truck was started (HVAC system randomly turning on the AC, power running boards not responding). The drivers side running board was stuck in the down position and the passenger side was stuck in up position. I replaced the battery and everything works fine now except the running boards. They’re still stuck. I verified the fuse is good and attempted the relearn procedure 3 times with no luck. Any ideas on where to go from here? TIA

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 Yukon Denali. My battery was starting to give up and had the typical low voltage electrical gremlins when the truck was started (HVAC system randomly turning on the AC, power running boards not responding). The drivers side running board was stuck in the down position and the passenger side was stuck in up position. I replaced the battery and everything works fine now except the running boards. They’re still stuck. I verified the fuse is good and attempted the relearn procedure 3 times with no luck. Any ideas on where to go from here? TIA
Are you sure the problem is limited to the battery? Even if the alternator appears to be putting out normal voltage, it can still have a bad rectifier diode and be sending gnarly power and ripple voltage through the electrical system on these, causing weird issues.

How to test:

The only other thing I can think of that would affect both running boards at the same time is the relay. They're cheap to replace and worth a try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply. Just going to swap the 30 amp fuse with another in the fuse block and see if that works. It’s definitely charging correctly and nothing else is acting up. Fingers crossed it’s a relay/fuse

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped fuses and still no luck. Stumped on this one…Suppose I’m headed to the dealer

Reaction score
Did you try flipping the override switch on the dash under the HVAC controls just to see if that has any effect?

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. Finally fixed. I think I was doing the reset procedure incorrectly. Just redid the sequence and the running boards are now working as they’re supposed to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier