weird low coolant issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's supposed to get higher when it's running at normal temperature.

Since its not really just an overflow like the OBS trucks had its actually referred to as an expansion tank.

OP
OP
CEN2MENTAL95

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
it's possible I am losing you guys due to translation. ( I am very used to *** cars, this american stuff is new to me-but parts are cheaper lol)

I will take pix of the expansion/overflow tank at cold and warm to show u the differences...hopefully that paints a better picture...I don't want to throw money at this for nothing

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying: your coolant level actually DROPS after the engine is warmed up. This is opposite to what I have, however, yes, a picture is worth a thousand or so words.
Only time I've seen that happen is 1) bad water pump, 2) right after opening up system to change hoses, and system not properly "burped", or whatever the true car term for that is.

OP
OP
CEN2MENTAL95

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying: your coolant level actually DROPS after the engine is warmed up. This is opposite to what I have, however, yes, a picture is worth a thousand or so words.
Only time I've seen that happen is 1) bad water pump, 2) right after opening up system to change hoses, and system not properly "burped", or whatever the true car term for that is.

left for work this AM in pouring rain..wasn't about to take pix then...came home for lunch went over to truck in driveway..popped hood...coolant expansion tank was only half full....haven't driven it since last night

guess I am looking at a water pump..which isn't expensive..just a PITA to do (it appears) :(

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
left for work this AM in pouring rain..wasn't about to take pix then...came home for lunch went over to truck in driveway..popped hood...coolant expansion tank was only half full....haven't driven it since last night

guess I am looking at a water pump..which isn't expensive..just a PITA to do (it appears) :(

First off, before you go changing out the pump, crawl under the truck with a good flashlight and look at the water pump from underneath and see if the weep hole at the base of the shaft is wet. Also check the hose connections to the pump and make sure they are dry or not!!

Second, if you haven't driven it at all since you topped it off, then you have a leak somewhere else (unless the pump is indeed visually leaking). Check all hoses and connections, also check the expansion tank well for a crack or a leaky hose connection!!

Check it all out real good before deciding to do the water pump, and as for the water pump change out, it's all pretty easy to do!! Only thing tough is taking the rad fan off of the waterpump if it's a clutch one, those can be tricky!! If and when you get to that point, I can point you in the right direction for the tricks to take that off without getting pissed like I did when I changed mine out!! lol

Check all that stuff out and keep us in the loop!

OP
OP
CEN2MENTAL95

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
:( something is getting lost here (beyond my coolant)

I topped it off after it sat all night (now it is at the full mark). I haven't driven it since last night, I only topped it off on lunch TODAY! before I filled it, it was a little low

there are NO puddles of orange coolant under my truck at all.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might be burning it.
Check your engine oil for coolant. You could have a cracked head, or bad intake or head gasket.

OP
OP
CEN2MENTAL95

CEN2MENTAL95

Banned
Reaction score
Getting pressure tested again today....when I came home from work it was lower than lunch and it just sat all day. So gotta be a leak somewhere

Stay tuned....

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, light at the end of the tunnel. If you're doing it yourself, might I recommend Gates brand hoses or OEM. I tried Dayco from autozone and the top hose collapsed on me under the vacuum after cooling down...just not sturdy enuf. Went to OReilly's and got the Gates hose and it is notably stiffer, and only 4 dollars more ($20 vs $24). OEM from dealer like $90. I didn't check online as I needed mine changed ASAP. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65